Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can/Will someone please explain to me >

Can/Will someone please explain to me

Can/Will someone please explain to me

Old 02-18-2017, 03:49 AM

I almost never prewash, but I almost always do a bleed / shrink test. Cut off a specific size (small square) hand wash in soapy water in a white bowl, press dry w/ iron on a white cloth. That will tell you if it is going to shrink w/ heat or lose color. If the fabric is stable I do nothing, if it isn't I make choices based on what happened to the sample.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:22 AM

I only prewash red and black fabrics as those tend to bleed more.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I sometimes pre wash yardage, most times I don't. Doesn't matter to anyone but me. I know what to look for and to expect if I wash or not.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:04 AM

Isn't it the nature of cotton fabric to shrink? And generally reds, batiks, black, navy blue are bleeders. To prewash or not is as personal a thing as religion, politics, and usually the reasons for doing, thinking cannot be argued, discussed or changed readily....this could go on infinitum- not the hill I want to die on. Sort of like " my sm is the best because...." But interesting to read the reasons why or why not.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:14 AM

I pre wash all my fabrics,I purchased a salad spinner@ a yard sale for 25 cents and hand wash my precuts(fat quarters) and spin the water out in the spinner - no tangled edges on these.I do a lot of bonding projects ,candle mats .
Old 02-18-2017, 05:48 AM

Someone gave me a pile of squares cut from draperies that must have been hanging a long time. The top edges were stained yellow and there were a few yellow spots else where. It didn't smell too good either. So I washed it all. The squares were no longer 8 1/2 inches. I had to trim them to 8 inches. Not all the yellow stain came out, but the fabric was two sided so I could use the good side as the right side.

I made four lap robes from those drapes, and right now three of them are in use in nursing homes or a friend's house. I like to use up stuff.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

My original post was addressed to those that wash bigger pieces but not little pieces of fabric before using them.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Why those that wash large pieces of fabric before cutting them balk at washing pre- cuts ?

It seems to me that the reasons for washing would be as valid for small pieces of fabric as for large pieces.
I am a definite "washer." I wash everything, BUT I've decided giving the smaller pieces of fabric, i.e. charms, a good, hot steam ironing will do the trick. Putting a whole jelly roll into the washing machine makes me cringe. I usually steam those 2.5" strips, too, as I use them. There are too many chemicals added to fabric when printing plus the dust from sitting on the shelf of the LQS...those are my main reasons for wanting to give the fabrics a good washing (large pieces) or a good steam (small cuts).
Old 02-18-2017, 06:29 AM

I wash everything except precuts. I want the chemicals out. I want the fabric to shrink before I sew it together. I want to know if it's going to bleed or not.

I figure that precuts are small enough that they are not going to distort the size of a full quilt even if they shrink. I don't use a lot of them but find myself drawn to them more recently and may change my policies if I find my assumptions are wrong. So far, mixing them in with pre-washed hasn't been an issue for me.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Call me a germaphobe if you want but I have always pre-washed every piece of fabric in sewing room. It is hard for me to tolerate the odor of the fabric and any estate sale I've been to. One instance of watching a very heavily rude persipiring individual and her friend on a very hot Texas heat day clinched it for me. She walked to a corner of certain fabrics and her friend and wiped their brows and pits. Management saw them then ushered them out, pulled the bolts of fabric. You could see the disgust on managements face. They have to return the merchandise to the manufacturer as damaged because of bodily fluids. ANother reason I prewash. I use lingerie bags by EVERCARE for 1 1/2yds or smaller. They look like pillowcases with hidden zippers. They are worth the $3 each. I also use them to wash bras and socks. Keeps them from being single with no mates.