Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you ever have too many pincushions?? >

Can you ever have too many pincushions??

Can you ever have too many pincushions??

Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 AM

i bought a jute rug with rubbing backing to go under my sewing area just for these type reasons. though i do not have carpet, i had a really thick room sized wool rug that pins would get lost in or bits of thread & fabric would get trapped in. so in comes the jute rug (purchased at pier 1 or marshall's) and i can get everything up as there is no pile for small things to get lost and it's easy to clean.

when i am on the floor on my knees pin basting my quilts, i use the foam garderner's knee pads to shield and pad my knees from the hard floor or pins my sewing buddy (cat) has managed to bat around. it works great.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]287924[/ATTACH]see my sewing buddy.

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
Love the pincushions but only have one that I stick needles in. I have a few magnetic bowls and things to keep them contained to the sewing table but if I knock them off I have another magnetic stick that sweeps them all up. After getting a needle under my kneecap years ago (yes it's possible and yes it takes painful surgery to remove it) I am very careful about keeping my floor clean. I hate carpet in the sewing room but that's what I have so make the best of it.
Attached Thumbnails sewing-buddy.jpe  

Last edited by Havplenty; 11-15-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM

Absolutely adorable, I love pincushions too, but most of mine are very utilty oriented except for my self designed sew-dahs, and of course the plucky chickens.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs View Post
I have been looking at the thrift stores, for "bottoms" for pin cushions and have come up with a lot of cute, cheap, things to use.........now, when am I gonna have time to actually make them.......I bought a box of steel wool scrubby things, to put in them (somebody on here said to do that, to make the pins sharp)..has anyone seem the cute "sewing machine" one that is at Tuesday Morning...... I wanted one, but thought it was a bit expensive for my tight budget.
Some time ago I saw a beautiful pincushion that used a cd for a base. I make pincushions in old solda fountaing glasses and ice cream glasses.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork View Post
My friend gave me a pattern for the elephant, but I have not made any yet. I have made more pincushions since my earlier post on this thread.
I absolutely LOVE the green tomatoes!!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 PM

LOVE the owl, thanks for sharing! Also thanks for the tip of using a basket, I think I can find one of those
Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 PM

I just love your pin cushion collection. I don't think you could ever have to many. Do you display yours so you can always see them? I think it would be so cute to just have a cabinet full of them.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:48 PM

I just made several pincushions that are Dress Form Pin Cushions. They are so cute as you can dress them up lots of different ways
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Default Latest Pin Cushion

This is made with a porcelain paint tray for the base. Circles of fabric are gathered into little balls & stuffed, then hot-glued into the wells.
Attached Thumbnails challenge-pincushion.jpg  
Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM

I love your owl pin cushions and keep mine in the top shelf of an old trunk.If I have pins in them the cats pull them all out with there mouth and drop them everwhere so I dont use them.I love them and like to look at them and give them to my friends now and then. handquilter
Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM

i only have one ft i feel urge to collect some more. wow yours are great thanks for sharing