Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you identify this block? >

Can you identify this block?

Can you identify this block?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM

I'm hand quilting this beautiful charm quilt my aunt made. I inherited about 20 of her beautiful hand cut, hand sewn quilt tops. I love this one. I don't know the name of this star...notice how the tumbling block is used to join the stars together. I think it is very cool. I'm about 3/4 of the way done quilting it and can't wait!

Unknown 6 pointed star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15308[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-15308.jpe  
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 AM

oops....

Also, does anyone know how to get out the yellow staining on the quilt?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

That is beautiful. I don't know the name but thank you for preserving her work.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM

I don't know the proper name, but think Tumbling Star would be a good name for it.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

beautiful, but I don't know the name either
Old 03-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Made me think of Seven Sisters. I'm guessing that each block was pieced and saved/stored until enough were done to do a complete top... that each "star" got a complete border of neutral and then the tumbling block appeared when the blocks are joined.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Someone here mentioned getting stains out of an old quilt by soaking it in her washing machine for several days (refreshing the wash water daily). She used regular laundry detergent, I think.

Basically what you do is fill up the machine with water and detergent, stop the machine, add the quilt, and hand-agitate once in awhile. Daily set the machine to spin to get rid of the old wash washer, and add new water and detergent. When it comes time to finish the quilt, after spinning just add rinse water and hand-agitate. Rinse as many times as necessary to get all the soap out, then spin. You can dry in the dryer if it is large enough for the quilt. If you have to stuff it into the dryer, take the quilt to a laundromat; a too-small-dryer can actually burn parts of the quilt.

I would not try OxyClean except as a last resort, as I have had it leave spots occasionally on clothing (similar to bleach spots). If you do end up trying it, be sure to dissolve it well in the hottest water possible before diluting with cold water. Before trying OxyClean, I would add some powdered bleach (safe for colored fabrics) to the soaking water.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:16 PM

The block is called Whirling Diamonds and is from the Kansas City Star (circa 1937).

Personally, I would not get a quilt top that age anywhere near a washing machine, let alone a commercial dryer! Soak in a bathtub (with a sheet underneath so you don't have to pull on the quilt when wet) in three parts warm water and one part white vinegar. Rinse well, squeeze out as much water as possible (do not wring) before lifting out of the tub. Dry flat with a fan blowing over it, not onto it. It's worked for me several times on antique quilts.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks. I too am very careful with all of my aunt's quilts because of their age, and their hand-stitching.

Thanks for identifying the block! After I'm all finished I'm going to have it appraised. I know my quilting is not as fine as my aunt's, but I still want the information on the age of the quilt, etc.

I've been having all of her quilts appraised a few at a time to get age, etc. My aunt never left any information on her quilts, so the only ones I know about are the ones she gave me. The many others I have no idea!!! And since she was a total scrap quilter, it sometimes confuses the appraiser!

Let this be a warning to us all! Sew a label on your quilt and leave the date and pertinent information!! :shock: :shock:
Old 03-18-2010, 02:26 PM

Lovely quilt...reminds me of one my mom had that her mother had made. Hers had a green background with yellow stars.