Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can you longarm around these type of flowers?

Can you longarm around these type of flowers?

This is one of my quilts thats been tucked away since december. I'm just about ready to quilt it but I'm not sure of how or if I can put it on the frame. The flowers are folded. I know I can't quilt over them but do you think it would be ok on the frame, and what suggestions do you have for going around them? The picture was taken before I hand sewed them down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by leatheflea; 05-10-2012 at 04:37 AM. Reason: forgot details

I would stitch as close to the applique as I could and then fill in the background. Can't tell from the pic if this is part of a block or the whole quilt

I've been reading about how to quilt around prairie points...can you pin the loose fabric out of the way while quilting and then release the pins when you've moved past this area? I have also heard of people using painters tape to secure the flowers till you are done.
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

I am guessing those flowers are appliqued down...stems and leaves anyway. So along with close stitches on the outside of these items, I would carefully run a vein down the center of those leaves. Then after doing all of the machine stitching, I would anchor those buds down by hand just a few stitches each, otherwise when that quilt is washed down the road, those buds may stick up and not look pretty-anyway that is what I would do if it were mine....

Don't know about the quilting, but the block sure looks lovely. Please be sure and post pictures when you are done. I am really curious/anxious to see the rest of the quilt. I love appliqued work.

Yes you can quilt around them. I have done similar leaves and buds and tacked them down by hand before quilting as Geri suggested. I am always worried about someone sitting on the bed or putting a suitcase on it or something similar.
    Beth in Maryland

I think the question is more about putting it on the frame, and yes, you can.

Yes the flowers have been stitched down. I think the problem may be getting close enough to the flowers. The stems and leaves would be easy to get close to and stitch around, but thouse flowers are what I've been wondering about. I suppose I'll never know until I try!

You should have no problems with it. And might I add your work is beautiful....really, really beautiful! Please post pictures when you're done.

Power Poster
    Do you have one of the thick rulers for long arm quilting? I think I would hold a ruler in position right against the edge of the flower so you had an edge to bump against without catching the flower or the foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Do you have one of the thick rulers for long arm quilting? I think I would hold a ruler in position right against the edge of the flower so you had an edge to bump against without catching the flower or the foot?
    Good idea, I'm gonna try that! Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I have quilted around these on my Juki 98Q. I don't long arm but it seems it wouldn't be a problem for someone who is used to long arm quilting.