Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you name this block? >

Can you name this block?

Can you name this block?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by tall2
Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Does anyone else hate how quilt magazines give each quilt an individual name, yet even when the block pattern is clearly a traditional one, often don't say the name of the block pattern?
I dont understand the need to re-name each block? I read one place its this, and another its that?(speaking of the Monkey Wrench) How is everyone suppose to keep up with what is what this way? Could it be because of the color of the block that they can change the name also? Makes no sense what so ever?
barbara
being new to quilting, it makes matters worse when u try to tell someone what block ur working on, and explain it, they never heard of it??
Sometimes it's because of different color placement & sometimes it's a regional thing like crawdads/crayfish, y'all/youse guys, couch/sofa, etc. Even looking through the Kansas City Star blocks you'll see the same block with a different name. There are only so many geometric shapes and there is bound to be more than one person coming up with a block design.

Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns is a good book to have if you're interested in the different blocks. Also check out Ruby McKim & Maggie Malone.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Definately not Card Trick. I love to make Card Trick and the pieces in it are not nearly as small as the one she is talking about.
Virginia
Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 PM

Can't believe the three stores I tried in town do not carry Quiltmaker mag anymore. At least there was no space on the shelves. Each place has cut way back on the amount of quilt mags they are carrying. Wonder why?

So, do we know yet exactly what the name of it is?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

It does get confusing when one block has several names.

It's also confusing when several different blocks have the same name.

I've decided that it's helpful to put an illustration/reference along with the block name to try to minimize confusion.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 AM

The photo of the table runner is the very same as shown in the book "Pinwheel Party". Go to Amazon.com and search for the book, then under the book image, click "See All Product Images". Your table runner is right there, so I imagine they have the pattern in the book. If you don't want to buy the book, try your library. Alot of times, if your county's branch doesn't have it, they can request the book through the state or national system. This might help if the other sources don't work for you. :)

Wow, you all sure are block identifying experts!!! I will certainly come here when I need help with something like this :) I looked for this block in a book with 4500 blocks in it, didn't see it.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:33 AM

Just bought the July/August issue of Quiltmaker. The very same picture and all the directions are on page 62. The block is a variation of Double Windmill
Old 07-06-2010, 06:37 PM

i think it's called a whirling star or twirling star. check out the quilt blocks at quilterscache - i think you will find it there.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Just saw the post about the Pinwheel Party book. I will have to get that as I love this tablerunner and a few other items in there. Thanks for the info.