Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you please recommend a machine that could handle thick batting please >

Can you please recommend a machine that could handle thick batting please

Can you please recommend a machine that could handle thick batting please

Old 03-03-2021, 11:31 AM

Default Can you please recommend a machine that could handle thick batting please

Hi...I like to sew small quilts (using cotton) to give to animal shelters, mostly they are given to cats and kittens. They are very simple but I am finding that I would like to make them thicker and my machine can't handle two layers of cotton and a thick batting. I am thinking that maybe four layers of regular batting would be good. I have been making them with just two layers of batting but they don't see as cozy as I would like. Is there a machine that you could recommend that would handle this? I am okay with spending a good amount for this as making these pads is something I enjoy. I also give them as gifts (every pet should have a quilt ..lol).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

A straight stitch only machine will be perfect. Brother 1500 or Juki are what I have used. Nothing fancy and no electronics or computer to mess up. They do have features like needle up/down, auto thread cutter, threader, and knee control if wanted.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:53 PM

I made some heavier kennel pads for my dogs on my old Singer 15-91.

I used white polyester gabardine and two layers of white fleece inside. This might not seem to make much sense, but the fabrics were tough, cheap and most important - they're bleach-able - I could run them through the sanitize cycle on my washing machine and they have stood up to many, many laundry cycles. The white fabric makes it easy to find stains for pre-treating. More practical than it sounds.

The fleece might be a better option than cotton batting, even if you want to pretty up the outside. I think you can get remnants of fleece at the fabric store to see if you like it.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

I have a straight stitch only Juki and Babyloc Jane. Both are wonderful machines.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:10 PM

Are you using a walking foot and a size 14 or 16 needle? If so, and it really is your machine, find an old vintage Singer 66 or similar. Oil it up good, put on a walking foot, and you are good to go. Of course an industrial would work even better, but they are generally quite a bit pricier.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:25 AM

Pam, I just logged onto your blog. What beautiful pictures! I bookmarked it so I can go back and see more beautiful pics!
Old 03-04-2021, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I second (or third) the mechanical Juki. I have a TL 2010 Q- less than 1 K and it's a beast of a machine!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:02 AM

Try a top stitch 90/14 needle, and lengthen your stitch. Do a practice piece.. try a walking foot. Rather than cotton , use fleece... there are some inexpensive heavy duty machines out there. I purchased !n HD5000 Janome for $399 last month for sewing leather. Great machine.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:10 PM

My Juki TL2200QVP mini will plow through layers and layers of thickness - it's my 'go to' machine for all things thick/heavy/etc.. And a I also agree with Lady Diana that up-sizing your needle, using a walking foot and lengthening your stitch is very helpful.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:53 AM

Possibly a walking foot would help with a longer stitch. Also, maybe you would have to go a little slower while sewing.