Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you press too much? >

Can you press too much?

Can you press too much?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:23 AM

Yes you can press too much. Over pressing can even distort your blocks, especially when there is bias involved. I have been taught a technique where you press your quilt top only after it is all sewn together for perfectly seated blocks. It works amazingly for perfect block joins. Also it is important to press down with the iron for a few seconds and not slide it around. I always use steam, but not starch - this is simply my preference. When I teach I always talk a bit about pressing. I often tell students to "press less".
Old 07-19-2015, 02:08 PM

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:20 PM

I don't think you can. I press when I think it's needed, and I prefer starch and steam, and I don't pre-wash my fabrics either. I think it all comes down again to do what works for you. I learn something different each time I sew or make anything. I just try to make sure I'm having fun cuz if it ain't fun, I ain't doin it!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:51 PM

I suppose you can, but doesn't sound like you are. I usually don't steam that last time when I'm pressing the seams. I actually invested in one of those Clover mini irons. I'm needing to get a new faceplate because I didn't use a press cloth with it & it got all gunky, but honestly, I love the mini iron. No steam & easy to control to keep me from getting burn blisters on my fingertips from pressing my steams to the side. Every once in a while if I have an especially stubborn wrinkle, I will spritz with a little water, but mostly at that stage I try to steer clear of steam.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

I ONLY use steam if a seam is not laying flat. I usually starch just before squaring up. There really is any right or wrong way, it is what works BEST for you.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:58 PM

If so, I'm in huge trouble . . .i press the dickens out of mine, right up to the point my blocks are squared and ready to sew into rows. And then, it's oressed again. I have a pressure steam iron, so the steam is "dry" and invisible . . .but I like my seams very flat and it makes a huge difference.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:08 AM

You can never press too much in my opinion. Pressing and I do mean pressing not ironing keeps your blocks neat and nice, easy to work with and put together. I also use steam in pressing, I don't use a lot of starch since my blocks are neatly pressed and don't need repeated starching to make them stiff. I press each seam as I create my blocks and then every time a piece is added as in sashing or other blocks everything is pressed, even a finale press before quilting.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:15 AM

Too much pressing, no. Too much ironing, yes.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I press/iron the fabric immediately upon removal of the dryer. I then lightly fold it and let it hang to rest or just lay it on the bed til the fabric cools down. heat expands and cool contracts. Not so many creases that way to iron out later. When I'm done ironing, I have a silicone iron rest that helps to keep my iron clean. I also have a terrycloth towel/pressing cloth to make sure there are no surprises. After my iron has completely cooled down, I use a Magic eraser and wipe the bottom of the iron. Not abrasive and wipes the iron clean of any mineral deposits but I still use the terry cloth pressing cloth before starting any ironing.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:38 AM

I think it depends on how you want to do it. I personally would steam press it one more time, but I am using spray basting, so I want my to and back to both be very smooth and ready for quilting