Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself? >

Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself?

Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself?

Old 02-11-2023, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Default Can you share your experience with starch that you mix up yourself?

I have a bottle of Sta-Flo starch that you dilute yourself. I figured medium would do it. I believe I used 2 parts water to 1 part starch. However, I scorched my fabric with my new Oliso iron. My iron is set on cotton/dry because I'm using cotton! I don't use steam with any irons.
I've never had this experience with Flatter, Mary Ellen's Best Press, and Magic Quilting Spray so I don't know if the trouble is with my iron or the starch. The reason I wanted to try starch was because a lot of you say it does a great job for stabilizing fabric.
Thanks for any help.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:38 PM

When I starch, I use Sta-Flo in a mixture of 2 parts water, 1 part Sta-Flo. Also, I starch my fabric and then let it dry completely before ironing. I've found that I'm more likely to get scorch marks if the starch is still wet on the fabric when I iron it and/or the iron will stick to it and cause a problem.

Rob

Old 02-11-2023, 02:59 PM

I use the same 2:1 ratio of Sta-Flo to water. I lowered the temp on my iron to prevent scorching. Irons heat up to different temps so you may have a better iron that gets hotter. I have used Best Press, I like it but I love the way I can control the stiffness with Sta-Flo. Also the lack of smell.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:00 PM

I use the spray starch in an aerosol can. I watched a video about ironing with starch. It said to spray the starch on the back to iron on front. It eliminates the white build-up. This is what I do.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:07 PM

I use the same ratio, and had the same issue. When I am cutting yardage I saturate with the starch and toss it in the dryer till it’s just damp, and then iron with medium setting. When starching blocks as I work, I press and then starch and wait a few seconds before pressing. The heat allows the starch to absorb faster IMHO.

Sadly I have been unable to find my beloved Niagra Starch in the non aresol bottle and have been using Sta-Flo.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I use spay starch, either can or sta flo mix my own, in the washer then transfer to the dryer. Dry until dry, then iron with steam. I iron the devil out of it. If it is going to shrink or get all wonky I want it done before I cut it. Sta Flo is more economical. My grandmother would use mix your own starch, powder I believe, and the after the clothes were dry, starch them, roll up and put in fridge over night. Then sprinkle with water and iron the next day. This was how all cotton clothes were starched and ironed. She used pant stretchers on my grandpa's work pants. Even workmen wore heavy starched and ironed work clothes, overalls, and flannel shirts too. They kept the dirt from grinding in the clothes for less work removing it. Thus the old list of Wash Day and Iron Day.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:37 PM

Have made this for years.

“This is the recipe "like" Best Press starch.

Mix together:
1 tsp scented essential oil (found in Walmart candle supplies aisle and they have lots of scents) Note: scent is optional if allergic to scents.
3 oz. vodka (YES vodka) LOL
Then add to 24oz distilled water in large spray bottle and shake well.
(Hint: Vodka is made from potatoes , a natural starch.)Posted by Precious Treasures at Monday, September 26, 2011

Old 02-12-2023, 01:59 AM

I mix Staflo 1:4 with distilled water, saturate my fabric, then hang to dry. I only iron after it’s completely dry. I found a utube video by Lisa Bongean that explains it well.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:40 AM

SusieQOH, I had an Oliso, unfortunately one day I was ironing with it on the medium setting and it caught on fire. The iron was only a few months old so no frayed cords or anything like that. I was not using any starch, just water out of the tap. Fortunately my husband was home and heard me yell fire. We have several fire extinguishers in the house and he was able to put the fire out. Oliso denied it was a faulty iron, would not replace it or refund my money. I've heard from other ladies that the small travel size Oliso irons get extremely hot that they can't even touch them. Please be extra careful.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:14 AM

I use the liquid Sta-Flo all the time but I sometimes add Vodka to it. I make it a gallon at a time and keep the leftover in the fridge so it doesn't get moldy. I dunk mine into a dishpan and wring it out using an old time wringer top as my hands just can't take trying to wring out up to 5 yards at a time. This solved the problem for me. Then I hang it up over my sink I have down in the basement until dry, usually wait till the next day most times. Then I mist it and then press it. Have never had my iron scorch any of my fabric and I think I have it set as far as the knob will go. I do try to keep the iron plate clean using that paste type cleaner that comes in a small tube. Haven't tried Mr Clean sponges yet, those white ones but as I have a good supply of them, I might the next time.

I also like my starch a bit stiffer so may use a amount a bit more than most.