Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cannot figure out how to line up fabric on Go dies. >

Cannot figure out how to line up fabric on Go dies.

Cannot figure out how to line up fabric on Go dies.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 AM

I have checked a lot of the tutorials and still cannot get the knack of laying out the fabric to cut 5" squares on the Go. Do you fold it straight then it aligned with the die or fold it on the die lined up? Seems like I am continuously wasting fabric. Any tips? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I don't have the 5-inch square, so don't know how helpful I will be.

What I do with my dies is use a Sharpie marker to mark the steel lines of the die so the cutting lines are very obvious to me. I cut my fabric 1/2" wider than those cutting lines, and line up so that there is just 1/4" of extra fabric to each side of where the cuts will be made. The fabric is lined up with the cutting blades, *not* with the sides of the die. Many of the cutting blades are set skewed in the die to help prevent distortion of the fabric while rolling through.

Many people have problems getting an exact square with the 5" square die. It helps if you starch the fabric first and/or place a coffee filter (or other paper) on top of the fabric, underneath the mat, before rolling it through. Be sure to measure your squares and make sure they are accurate before cutting a lot of them. The other dies typically do not have this problem.