Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't Bring Myself To Cut Into a Fat Quarter!

I am making a charm Tumbler quilt. I am far, far, far from having anywhere near enough different fabrics to finish it. I have about 30 fat quarters but I cannot bring myself to waste a fat quarter for a 4 inch tumbler piece! Anyone else have this problem?

Izy
    Oh yes...but you have to get over it, or you won't make anything lol!!!!! :D

just take a deep breath ask the fat quater goddess for forgiveness and cut

Chop that baby up!

It's just a little bit--you'll have plenty left over for the next project. I love applique and every teeny little bit is good for something. Cut away! and enjoy yourself.

Ok that feels better. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh--your replies make me giggle!!! :lol:

Lol i'm the same way, i dont even like to take the ribbon off a fat quarter, cus they're so pretty to look at, so i leave the ribbon on as long as possible, and just keep peeking inside to try and see the fabric!!! lol lol Ooooh, don't chop that baby! LOL LOL LOL

Blog Entries
    Oh...I know what you mean!!! I've finally decided that if I have to use just a little...it goes into the scrap bag...then I must replace it as soon as possible with a new WHOLE FQ!!! :lol: Otherwise, my stash feels pain!!!

Blog Entries
    Have you considered charms? By the way remember we LUV pics !!! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Have you considered charms? By the way remember we LUV pics !!! :lol:
    Yeah, I am working out some charm swaps right now in the Classifieds/Swaps room. That'll help. I will take a pic of what I have so far...3 rows.

Maybe I should just nix the "every tumbler has to be a different fabric" and use what I have. It'd still be cute, right?

Blog Entries
    That might work if you mix them up and spread them out ! Good Luck ! What size are the tumblers?

4" tall by 4" at the widest point. I do have 4 swaps set up and that will help. Maybe I will wait. I am an instant gratification person and very impatient...i gotta work on that! :)

Blog Entries
    LOL ! Its a quilter thing ! We are all that way... :D Do you have a color theme going ? Or just mixing and matching? Is this from a pattern? I have never seen or heard of this before. Thanks
    Sharon

No color theme. I have got about every color and pattern and it could be very ugly or very cool. It's fun to make though! This is a tumbler quilt (not mine just random off the web):

http://willworkforfabric.typepad.com...mblersdone.jpg

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    just think, cut a little bit off for your tumbler then cut the leftover fat quarter into charm squares and you have the squares for a charm square quilt started! I have been cutting scraps into 2 1/2 in square so one day when I have enough, i can make a trip around the world or irish chain with a little bit of each quilt I have ever made! If i have a large piece left over, I either cut into fat quarters or charm square to have them ready to go when I need them!

True. And I could start compiling 5" squares for the swaps I have set up. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    That is really neat! How are you doing it ? I have seen the English Paper Piecing for that quilt. Is that how you are doing it? So what size square do you need to start with ? 5x5?
    Sharon

I am doing traditional hand-piecing. I start with a 5" square and trace the pattern using a template. It's a fun pattern and ideal for scraps.

Blog Entries
    Just take a deep breath and Go for it. Or nothing would get done.

cut it and put what left away. I have a plastic container with 5 drawers. This is for fat quarters or pieces up to a half yard. these are in turn sorted according to basic colors. orange and yellow and beige, blue black and dark hues.these are handy for making one block. Now I need to find a way to store all those different size squares.
    I love to be the one to cut into a new piece of fabric :wink:

Blog Entries
    In my opinion, cut them baby's up.. Why start cutting some of your 1-2-3- etc yard stashes.. What you make out of your fat qrt's, will make you just as happy.. Don

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    It makes me feel like I'm not so wierd after all. I'm working on using the fabrics I really like instead of hording them. Hording them for what? I don't know. Use it and enjoy it. There is probably more somewhere. If you don't use it you can't buy more because eventually you will run out of room.

There have been many times I was reluctant to cut into fabric. Fat Quarters or by the yard. I have let many months go by before actually using it. I make a point to put some of my favorites in quilts that I am keeping for myself so that the "pain" will not be so bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast