Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can't measure today! >

Can't measure today!

Can't measure today!

Old 09-19-2020, 12:42 PM

Default Can't measure today!

Trying to assemble block packages for my 4-H members to make a block for a sampler quilt as their Achievement (where they show off what they have learned during the project). And FOUR times I have measured 10" squares short! If I wasn't under a deadline I'd stop....
Hoping it will go better if I take a break for supper.

Our quilting project has been based on squares. Members make anything as long as they start with squares. So far we've seen the start of table mats, runners, organizers and even some lap quilts. All done virtually with emails and ZOOM meetings. This Saturday we will actually do a sewing meeting to learn about binding. They are to have their items backed and quilted and ready to bind. They get these block kits with pattern instructions and batting. They need to be returned to me quilted and ready to be assembled (using the Cotton Theory method). Hoping to get a quilt worthy to be auctioned off at the 4-H Conference and Annual meeting fundraiser next spring. Or we might just donate it to a women's shelter or something. Depends on the pandemic situation.... The blocks will all be disappearing blocks into a sampler. Wish us luck!

And that I don't lose my mind...
Old 09-19-2020, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Yea for you Miss Merry Bright!
Lucky 4-H'ers to have you to help them keep quilting despite COVID!

Definitely, time for some nourishment to help re-charge your batteries.
.... maybe even an overnight sleep!!
Sleep is usually what works best for me when I am having a mess-up day.
Then get up and at'em "bright" and early and all will go well, I bet!

Good Luck!
Old 09-19-2020, 02:07 PM

Good for you teaching new up and coming quilters hopefully. Usually when I just can't accomplish something that should be easy for me like understanding a pattern or sewing a block correctly I just have to walk away and do something else for a couple of hours and go back to my troubled issue and everything clears up in my head. Glad you are there for these 4Hers
Old 09-19-2020, 05:25 PM

I’m sure you will gain control of those 10 inch squares again! It seems like it’s the little things that trip us up. How wonderful that you are working with the 4h students.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:09 PM

bless you for all your hard work on helping these kiddos! Never an easy job, but sure the pandemic/Zoom feature has made it so much harder.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:00 AM

This won't help you right now, but Creative Grids has a 10" ruler just for cutting 10" squares. I got one and it sure helps a lot, as I use a lot of that size square.