Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cardinal Pattern

Hello Ladies,
    I have a very dear friend that is really into Cardianl Birds.I am hoping to make her something for her birthday which is in October, so I have a lot of time. Anything except paper piecing. That I have never tried/ Would anyone have a pattern or idea for a small wall hanging with a Cardinal pattern?

Blog Entries
    Applique is one alternative.

Another would be to track down photos or clipart of cardinals to print on fabric.

How perfect is Redwork for cardinals?

Do you know anybody with an embroidery machine?

Sampler including all of the above?

And, c'mon, Barb ... give the paper piecing a try, too. If it doesn't turn out to your satisfaction, just don't use it. Nobody will know 'cept you. You have months to practice. ;-)

this is a christmas pattern, but you can use the bird

http://christmas.howstuffworks.com/how-to-make-christmas-crafts-for-the-home8.htm

I don't have a pattern for this, I found a picture on the internet and made it from the picture... it was a challenge and I did alot of ripping but I finally got it done.... I just pieced each strip together.... maybe you can do the same?
    Attached Images Attached Images

CQ what an intriging idea. looks very nice

Country Quilter,

You did an excellent job! I love your Cardinal, it looks flawless. :D I have been wanting to piece a yellow Lab, black lab, and a chocolate lab but have yet to do it. I hope mine turns out as great as yours! :mrgreen:

Thanks! It was a block I added to a winter wallhanging I made for one of my sisters....I had fun with it ...even tho it took some doing! LOL

In case you change your mind about paper piecing. I did this one from the Nov./Dec., 2004, issue of quiltmaker magazine. It wasn't all that difficult. Really! :lol:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Ruthi, I too have been looking for a pattern that was not applique. Thanks for this link. It is perfect and can be used for any time of year. :D

Oh wow Yvonne!!! That is gorgeous! I looked for a PP pattern for a cardinal when I went to make my WH and couldn't find one for free...so opted to piece it on my own.....I love that ....very pretty!

Yvonne,

I absolutely love your Cardinals.

Wow, two different ways to do them and they both look amazing. I have never tried paper piecing, is it difficult to do?

Pat

Hi, I've done a few things in paper piecing and really like it. You will be so pleased when you try it and look at the way the points come out & everything matches. You really should try something. The cardinal looks like it doesn't have a lot of pieces in it so that would be good to start on. Or just do a crazy patch to get the feel for it. If you have a quilt book or magazine that does a varitiy of styles you could probably fine one project in paper piecing to try. I have Eleanor Burns book "Quilt in a Day Quilts Through the Seasons" and she has a good instruction section on paper piecing. I made the crazy heart. I just got my book out & guess what!!!!! There is a Cardinal in it too. You might want to look at that book in a quilt shop. Hope I helped a little. Sure hope you try PP, you'll really be surprised at how easy it is.

Pat

Just reading the Cardinal info in my "Quilts Through the Seasons" & I see it is applique. Just 2 pieces for the bird. It might work.

You can find some patterns within the Thimbleberries books or you might want to look in an art book, or bird book like one from the Audobon society and trace the outline for applique. That way you can keep it simple and use threads for outlining the shapes. You might find some ideas on the web for a more primitive look. Depends on the style you want to create. Even Christmas fabric has some cardinals you could enlarge as a pattern possibility. Good luck.

Your cardinal are so vivberant they look wonderful. I to have not tried pp I'm a little scared to try, but will someday probably on the BOM someone will choose a simple one I hope

Thanks for the advice on paper piecing. I cannot wait to try it. I am sure I will be back with questions.

OH THAT IS COOL. I may have to borrow you pattern. I love cardinals too. I'm very involved with frogs at rhe moment tho. It's for a baby quilt. I'm also not too keen on paper piecing. Probably cause I never tried it. Looks like a good deal for applique but not sure about the rest.

Thank you everyone for your help with a Cardinal Pattern.

Pat, I could not believe my eyes when I read your post wbout "Quilts through the Season" I just received the same book in the mail 2 weeks ago, and did not get a change to go through it yet. I just took it out and found the pattern you are talking about. Just what I am looking for. So now I will take some of the other ideas posted and draw something up.
    Everyone , thank you so very much. Now my friend Judy will have something specail for her birthday in October. When ever I get one made, I will post it. You all will make it happen

Hi:
    For the person looking for a Cardinal bird pattern. I just got a copy of and instructions for a cardinal wall hanging that came out in a 1994 Quiltmaker Magazine-Nov/Dec. issue. An elderly friend of mine has the wall hanging that she hangs on her front door every year at Christmas. I would be glad to share the instructions if you can't get it. I don't know what the copyright rules are so don't want to just put it online. Maybe you can contact me by private internet. :D
    Feathers

I am putting in my two cents. This is a pattern I found on a website. Just thought everyone would like to admire it like I do. It is called Snowbirds.

I hope it works attaching it to this reply.

Someday I might be able to do one like this, but not for a long while.

Snowbirds quilt
    Name:  Attachment-2131.jpe
Views: 809
Size:  23.1 KB

Thank you! that is pretty. ...And as for it taking a long time....you never know until you start...! Just try one of the birds in applique...or the tree...i will wait to see it.

Boo
    Vonnie, I have that pattern or should say magazine in my stash. Thanks for sharing yours. So many patterns, so little time. :roll:

I don't know how I found this but the other day cruisin the web I ran accross this pattern. Probably late but a good pattern anyway for a cardinal. I am going to use for Christmas. I hope this goes through. I sent it as a file attachement because I can not remeber where the site is and I copied the whole thing. Nothing said copywrited on it. Donnarae

What program do I use to open that file? I've tried all I have and none of them worked.

Did you hit download? Try again and if you still can't get it I will email it to you, I will give you my email address. It is good and easy pattern. it is just the cardinal block. Donnarae

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast