Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Carpenter's Star Quilt >

Carpenter's Star Quilt

Carpenter's Star Quilt

Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM

How about appliqueing something or use yo yo's in the places where the points don't meet. I wouldn't worry about the nautical print going in different directions, he'll never even question that. Like jgriinke said he'll love it, it's a labor of love.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sewfine View Post
My Carpenter's Star quilt is a disaster. This is not my first quilt, but is my first Carpenter's Star. I have ponder this quilt pattern for 3 years now. The color coordination is wrong, points don't match, some nautical fabric is upside down and crossways. Brought this fabric in June 2011 to make a quilt for my dad. Can't find the same nautical fabric, but did find a different kind. His favorite color is blue and I wanted to use the nautical fabric because it reminds me of when we used to go too Colon, MI. where we had a house with the lake at the end of the back yard; where we would fish all the time. (Not a good fisher, LOL). All suggestions are welcome. Need to have this done before I go to Chicago in July, he will be looking for it.

You might try Debby Maddy's Carpenter Star pattern...it's all half square triangles and very easy...I have made several....
Old 05-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Well it looks fine from here! now, directional fabrics can be a pain when making hst's. you must make them with half sewn on the opposite direction. Re:sew one with seam from upper left corner down to the bottom right. The next one, sew from upper right corner down to lower left. That way your fabric will read better. And when trimming hst's be sure to use the 45 degree line on your ruler. Place it on your seam line, making sure it lays on the seam well. Then your points should work well too.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM
bj

I think when directional fabric is going in all directions, I just figure it looks good from every angle. (0:
Old 06-25-2014, 02:19 AM

I think it is LOVELY! Like was already stated, on the bed, you look at it from all sides. At a short distance, you don't even notice what the fabric is, but that the color blend is fabulous! Finish it as is, HE WILL LOVE IT!!