Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cat Design

Cat Design

I recently purchased 2 packets of hexagons from Tula Pink's tabby line. I love them! Now I have the idea of creating a cat from them in the center of a quilt surrounded by solid fabric, but have no idea how to go about it. I have gone on Pinterest and found similar quilts with a black cat in the center facing forward but don't know how to 'translate' that to hexagon shapes. What would you recommend?

If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of them, I might be able to help you. I recently did a rounded shape using 49 little squares. When it came time to make the shape I wanted, I just cut it out and there were little bits that "did not make the cut" to use a sports term. It came out quite nice.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Did you piece them together then, cut out shape, applique them onto a background? A picture would really help. I'd love to see your quilt. Thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of them, I might be able to help you. I recently did a rounded shape using 49 little squares. When it came time to make the shape I wanted, I just cut it out and there were little bits that "did not make the cut" to use a sports term. It came out quite nice.

I guess I'm confused, when I googled Tula hexi tabby line I saw pictures of 2 inch hexi's. Are you wanting to build a quilt around a 2 inch print on a hexi?
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

You can print hexagonal graph paper from the internet, then lay a picture or outline underneath to figure out your layout. Here is one link: https://www.printablepaper.net/category/hexagon_graph

Sounds like fun.

No, this is what I purchased. I loved the prints on it!
    https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...-road-hexagons

Thank you, I'll try to print some out and play around with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing View Post
    You can print hexagonal graph paper from the internet, then lay a picture or outline underneath to figure out your layout. Here is one link: https://www.printablepaper.net/category/hexagon_graph

Sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
    I guess I'm confused, when I googled Tula hexi tabby line I saw pictures of 2 inch hexi's. Are you wanting to build a quilt around a 2 inch print on a hexi?
    I think that 2" is on one side, so the measurement across is almost 5".

You can easily turn any hexi into a square w/ 4 triangles, if your wanting to start w/ the square shape.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I wanted to start w the hexies as the centers. Thank you though

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't work with hexis but when I work with squares (same concept) I plan it out on grid paper.

Jenny has a cat quilt in her next Block magazine. It was on the Missouri Star site yesterday.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I've read your post again and again and still don't get it. So, you have 2 charm packs of hexies in prints that suggest cats. Then, you want to create a cat for the center (out of the hexies?, from a solid? like an applique?). Then you want to surround it will solids (like a border? you are going to cut more hexies out of solids?). Or, is the cat going to be the center (however you make it) surrounded by the purchased hexagons, then surrounded by the solid hexagons?

Sorry I'm so dense this morning. I just can't figure what you want it to look like.

bkay

Sorry I wasn't clear. I want to create a block around the hexies, that was my original idea. Someone then posted that they join charm squares or scraps and cut out the "shape" they want to create and applique it onto a solid. I wanted to see how someone would design a block that wasn't a grandmother's garden or simple flower or stacked design. Thanks!