Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat Design >

Cat Design

Cat Design

Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 383
Default Cat Design

I recently purchased 2 packets of hexagons from Tula Pink's tabby line. I love them! Now I have the idea of creating a cat from them in the center of a quilt surrounded by solid fabric, but have no idea how to go about it. I have gone on Pinterest and found similar quilts with a black cat in the center facing forward but don't know how to 'translate' that to hexagon shapes. What would you recommend?
Neuras is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 12:27 PM
  #2  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
Posts: 10,477
Default

If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of them, I might be able to help you. I recently did a rounded shape using 49 little squares. When it came time to make the shape I wanted, I just cut it out and there were little bits that "did not make the cut" to use a sports term. It came out quite nice.
Boston1954 is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:03 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 383
Default

Did you piece them together then, cut out shape, applique them onto a background? A picture would really help. I'd love to see your quilt. Thank you!!
Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of them, I might be able to help you. I recently did a rounded shape using 49 little squares. When it came time to make the shape I wanted, I just cut it out and there were little bits that "did not make the cut" to use a sports term. It came out quite nice.
Neuras is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:11 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Kassaundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rural Oklahoma
Posts: 5,356
Default

I guess I'm confused, when I googled Tula hexi tabby line I saw pictures of 2 inch hexi's. Are you wanting to build a quilt around a 2 inch print on a hexi?
Kassaundra is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:20 PM
  #5  
Super Member
 
wesing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East TN
Posts: 2,459
Default

You can print hexagonal graph paper from the internet, then lay a picture or outline underneath to figure out your layout. Here is one link: https://www.printablepaper.net/category/hexagon_graph

Sounds like fun.
wesing is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:24 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 383
Default

No, this is what I purchased. I loved the prints on it!
https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...-road-hexagons
Neuras is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:24 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 383
Default

Thank you, I'll try to print some out and play around with it!
Originally Posted by wesing View Post
You can print hexagonal graph paper from the internet, then lay a picture or outline underneath to figure out your layout. Here is one link: https://www.printablepaper.net/category/hexagon_graph

Sounds like fun.
Neuras is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:25 PM
  #8  
Power Poster
 
dunster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA
Posts: 14,203
Default

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I guess I'm confused, when I googled Tula hexi tabby line I saw pictures of 2 inch hexi's. Are you wanting to build a quilt around a 2 inch print on a hexi?
I think that 2" is on one side, so the measurement across is almost 5".
dunster is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 03:08 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Kassaundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rural Oklahoma
Posts: 5,356
Default

You can easily turn any hexi into a square w/ 4 triangles, if your wanting to start w/ the square shape.
Kassaundra is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 05:15 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 383
Default

I wanted to start w the hexies as the centers. Thank you though
Neuras is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
amazon
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
111
10-02-2011 12:08 PM
Dorothy of Kansas
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
8
06-17-2009 07:55 AM
Crissie
Pictures
19
05-19-2009 06:46 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.