Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat hair on a quilt top >

Cat hair on a quilt top

Cat hair on a quilt top

Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Default Cat hair on a quilt top

My precious pussy cat has slept on top of a pile of quilt tops. She is the one in the Avatar. Long hairred black and white tuxedo Maine Coon/Ragdoll? This needs to come off this quilt top pronto.

I took a roller brush with the tear off sheets to it and got plenty of hair that I could not see on the top. The only place I could see it was the wine border. The rest of black and white or white ad black log cabin. I've tossed it into the dryer with some static cling sheets and a damp wash cloth.

Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:31 AM

Sounds like you have it covered... but in desperation you could try using rubber gloves and running your hands over the quilt. I've heard this as a suggestion for getting dog fur off sofas.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 AM

I've had luck with wrapping masking tape around my hand and removing that way. Standard masking tape is stickier than the rollers (I think). I use the tape when I put my quilts into shows.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

My bad kitty does this too. I first take my hand and rub the hairy place in circles, which makes the majority of it stick together in balls that are easy to lift off. Then when I have the bulk of it removed, I use the sticky rollers to get the rest.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:04 AM

I totally blew it. I had used up almost one whole roller on the first quilt and it was looking pretty fine. But I tossed it in the dryer with a damp wash cloth. Big mistake. Some of the hair on the back was now on the front and my efforts were wasted. I feel as if I am coming down with the stomach flu. To bed for me.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:30 AM

I do the Sewbizgirl, rubbing my hand around to collect balls of fur first. Damp cloth helps with coarser cloth (like my dining room chairs), not so much on batiks.

Although I have done it, I really don't recommend washing a flimsy/unquilted top. Some spills or whatever are nasty enough to require that before finishing.

It's happened that something like this has motivated me to quilt down a top because I always wash them when I'm done and so I scrape off as much hair and threads as I can and quilt it down, trusting the after wash to take care of rest of it.

I try to keep my unquilted tops in large clear tubs to keep them as fold free and clean as I can until I get to them. Sometimes we don't find these cat nests until they've been used for quite awhile and it can be amazing the amount of fur that gets stuck to them, but usually it's just on one side/fold of the fabric and can be managed. Even dried cat barf can be managed... toothbrushes can help with this (the removal, not with brushing the cat teeth although that's not a bad thing to do either).

I have pets and I have pet hair in my house and on my quilts even though they aren't allowed in the sewing room. It's a fact of life that I am also covered with pet hair, and so I travel with those roller sheet things tucked everywhere. It's what the dollar store is for! I leave the house in the best shape I can and de-fur myself before getting in the car (keep a roller in the trunk just for that).
Old 06-19-2019, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I now use one of those clothing brushes. this one is Fur wizard hurricane I think. saw it online. in white with blue. like those brushes for clothing. Work great. You may have it solved by now though. good luck. I have two very long haired cats.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 PM

squeege. trust me. Took it All off a cloth chair I've used everything in the world on. Squeege.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

i had this problem when i sold fur coats.
i'd lay my pant flat. and with a damp hand, rub my hands down the legs of the pant leg.
sooo much fur came off. i'd do t about 10-15 times on each leg. Every time i'd wear the pants. Once in awhile, maybe every other week, i'd take all my wool pants to get dry cleaned. the would come back fur free
Old 06-19-2019, 02:57 PM

rubber gloves work like a dream!