Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Window Blocks >

Cathedral Window Blocks

Cathedral Window Blocks

Old 04-22-2010, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

I plan to follow Eddie's tute and make a cathedral window quilt sometime this year.

Your totes are beautiful Marsye!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 AM

I love the totes and am going to make myself one, but I think I have decided to make a wall hanging out of some and make the others into individual wall hanging because my gang all thought they were so pretty.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:09 AM

I love the look of CW's but I get so confused with the process so I've never tried it. Eddie's tute made some sense but i still got lost in the folding of the windows.....grrr. maybe one day the light will go off and i'll get it. Sometimes it takes years but eventually i'll get it lol!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I have several cathedral window pillows that my mother and I made in the 1980's. We both used them on our beds. They are all different colors of gingham checks and still look like new. I would like to make them into a throw or a baby quilt. Do any of you have any suggestions. I haven't taken the ruffles off of them yet, either so I do have some original fabric I could use in some manner.

Would appreciate any ideas your wonderfully creative minds can come up with.
They sound like heirlooms. I would want to leave a couple in their original state for memory lane. That said, if they are on a guest room bed, the others could serve for a runner/quilt throw (pillow to foot) down the center of the bed.
I don't tend to wash throw pillows as often as I do other fabric. Dust, lint from the air, etc. will deteriorate the fabric. When you tear into the first one you will have an idea how well the fiber held up. If it has suffered and you don't knick it with the seam ripper, I think you would still be able to quilt it and have your memories.
I would really enjoy pictures of the before and after.
Now I am on the read your other responses. The best to you./Dorothy
Old 04-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by adyldrop
I love the look of CW's but I get so confused with the process so I've never tried it. Eddie's tute made some sense but i still got lost in the folding of the windows.....grrr. maybe one day the light will go off and i'll get it. Sometimes it takes years but eventually i'll get it lol!
They really are very simple to make but people are scared to try them because they look complicated.....but they are not! :thumbup:
Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by marsye
My mother and I have made CW for years. I now sell the kits and customers have made potholders, tote bags, tablerunners, table toppers and even vest out of them. :thumbup:
Beautiful work.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I have several cathedral window pillows that my mother and I made in the 1980's. We both used them on our beds. They are all different colors of gingham checks and still look like new. I would like to make them into a throw or a baby quilt. Do any of you have any suggestions. I haven't taken the ruffles off of them yet, either so I do have some original fabric I could use in some manner.

Would appreciate any ideas your wonderfully creative minds can come up with.
How many do you have? Could you post a picture? Without seeing them it is hard to advise, especially as they are of sentimental value.