Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Window Question >

Cathedral Window Question

Cathedral Window Question

Old 03-23-2021, 07:05 AM

Question Cathedral Window Question

I want to make a CW quilt, but it looks very difficult. Are there any "simple" directions/tutorials out there that you can recommend? TIA
Old 03-23-2021, 07:18 AM

I've never made one, but there are quite a few tutorials on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...l+window+quilt

I'd try the Shabby Fabrics one, first - it's just a pillow, so if you follow it along, it'll give you an idea of how they go together and help you decide if you want to do it enough times to make a big quilt.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:22 AM

My favorite hand work. I do all by hand.
There is a machine tutorials. A true C W is all handwork .
Made4 .
Old 03-23-2021, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Do you mean the traditional Cathedral Window? If so, it is a good hand project but time consuming. Start with a pillow top or runner and see if you want to continue.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:00 AM

Missouri Star Quilt Co has a great video
Old 03-23-2021, 10:32 AM

I have made 2 CW quilts. They are slow to make them and require a lot of patience to get all the piecing done right . MSQC has a good tutorial. It is easy to follow. Here is one of my CW quilts. I made this one all by hand. Of course some parts can be done by machine but the majority is by hand.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00055-1.jpg  
Old 03-23-2021, 10:40 AM

I was thinking of hand piecing. I am not a fan of hexagons, have made too many yo-yo quilts, so I thought maybe of trying something different. I will definitely check out the MSQC tutorial as well as the you-tube one as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

juliasb: your quilt is gorgeous and seeing it makes me want to learn how to make one right now.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:11 AM

You got me started watching a bunch of Cathedral Window tutorials, and I do like the look of the "traditional" one the best.

Here's one: https://youtu.be/fO6Rb2N0_VU

I think I would do it all by machine - my eyes aren't what they used to be - cataracts, bleah - and I think I would baste the backing and batting onto the top so that when I sewed the curves down, the quilting would be done, too. Maybe even do only a few rows at a time.

Here's a lady that sews around the colored fabric by machine and it looks pretty. https://youtu.be/1XqlIl99BjY

Just what I needed - another quilt on my bucket list, but that's what this board does!

Old 03-23-2021, 02:54 PM

It’s on my list of quilts that I’ve always wanted to do. Julia, yours is beautiful!! Maybe I better start before I get any older. Lol. I would want a queen size quilt.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:02 PM

A traditional method of Cathedral windows I will never make, but you will get virtually the same look by doing a "10 minute" block, and it's a heck of a lot easier and you don't start out with a 9" square and after you're done, end up with a 4" block.