Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Window Question >

Cathedral Window Question

Cathedral Window Question

Old 06-07-2022, 02:21 PM

Default Cathedral Window Question

I am getting set up to start a Cathedral Window quilt. Actually two but the first one is getting started, hopefully this weekend and I have a question.

I've been doing some research on it, the measurements are confusing me a little. Some say to use 9.5" squares, some say 9". I don't have a ton of room as far as finances to figure things out as I go along since this is my first one, so I was wondering what everyone here that's made one has used for theirs. I sew mostly a scant 1/4" and the window size are 2.5".

Any help or ideas would be fabulous - thanks ladies.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:45 PM

I've used 9.5" for mine. The finished square after folding is about 4". Or you can try this video method by Jenny Doan. www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKU0zg-qaw
Old 06-09-2022, 02:19 AM

I started my Cathedral Window quilt back in 2009 and is a work in progress. Basically I got discouraged and stopped working on it, out it out of sight, out of mind. I felt as if I simply could not finish it by hand. It got too big and was hard to manage. I use a 9 1/2 inch square for the base and stitch it by machine. I sew the "windows" in by hand working on a block at a time. The blocks are approximately 16 inches.
Thanks to your question, I got a wild hair and pulled it out last night and managed to sew in about 12 little windows before bedtime. I know and accept that I will not finish this as a complete "hand project" but have decided that I will sew the windows by machine as it gets larger.
As for information for you, here is a link from 2010 to a machine stitched Cathedral Window tutorial by Eddie that gives step by step instructions. Hope it helps.
A search of this forum will also yield a lot of information on CW quilts as well.

Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial