Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Windows Missouri Star Style >

Cathedral Windows Missouri Star Style

Cathedral Windows Missouri Star Style

Old 09-07-2021, 10:59 AM

Default Cathedral Windows Missouri Star Style

Anyone have experience doing the Missouri Star's Quilt-as-you-go style of Catherdral windows?

I've watched her video at least 12 times and decided to take it on! (Yay!) And I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this and want to share thoughts, advice, warnings, etc...

My project will be 40x60 when done. (Heavy, right!?!)

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2021, 04:29 AM

I've never done one, but I hope someone answers your question who does along with the web site. Sounds like a fun project.
Old 09-08-2021, 05:10 AM

Yes, I made a small lap size quilt for my hall bench from scrapes and quilted it on my frame. I'm in the process of making a queen size one now and believe me it's a chore stitching down the windows on each row. Dummy me put 10 blocks together in a row, 10 rows and having to roll the row up as I stitch around has been a chore but I will continue as it's a gift for a couple. She asked for a cathedral window quilt and I knew I didn't want to try it the normal way.

Here is one of the rows still waiting to have their windows stitched down. Not a great photo but gives you the idea. She asked for fall colors. All fabrics are from my stash, mostly pre-cut 5" that weren't quite cut correctly so great reason to use them up as you can choose what size you want your block to end up at.
Attached Thumbnails design-wall-sept-2020.jpg  
Old 09-08-2021, 05:50 AM

This way makes it so much easier and much less fabric is used too. Look up 10 minute block too. same way.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:52 AM

not sure you can see this but utube had plenty of directions on doing it this way
10 Minute Block Variation (On Point).. .pdf now attached to post 3
Old 09-08-2021, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Yes, I made a small lap size quilt for my hall bench from scrapes and quilted it on my frame. I'm in the process of making a queen size one now and believe me it's a chore stitching down the windows on each row. Dummy me put 10 blocks together in a row, 10 rows and having to roll the row up as I stitch around has been a chore but I will continue as it's a gift for a couple.
YAY! That looks like a great start!

It looks like you are doing the quilting as you go down the rows of windows. I was going to save mine for the end, so my piecing is now just a bunch of white triangles on gold background (that can't be seen yet). This way, I can pin the window pieces in when I make the sandwich, and then make my quilt lines as long waves down the diagonals.

This will be a gift for my husband's grandmother.