Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cathedral Windows

Help! I had talked to a woman on here about cathedral windows and of course I don't have the PM. I would love to ask her a question. Or course if anyone else can help me would be great!

Has anyone used the book "Cathedral Windows" by Lynne Edwards? I am trying to "teach" myself and have gotten myself all confussed. Also I am using another site using a different method from Hyena In Petticoats. I'm stuck on a step that just isnt clear to me using the book.

I think it would be easier PMing than just rambling on and on...lol. Thank you in advance for any help!

:) Robin

Banned
    I sell the kits and send this website with purchases. Maybe this link will help.

http://quiltzine.com/cathwindow.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

OH MY, that is a lot of hand stitching to make a bunch of them!! I dont think my arthritic fingers would hold up...is there any machine stitch you could use for the parts that dont show?

Margie

THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!

Hi, Robin, I have that book by Edwards as well and used it to learn how to do cathedral windows, so if you have any questions I'll be glad to help if I can.

Margie - I did my cathedral window project all by machine, so these do not have to be done by hand. Below is a pic of the pillow I did.

That is just beautiful! What stitch did you use to machine stitch it?

Margie

I just used a straight stitch when turning back the folds to stitch around the very edge of the folds and hold the window fabric in place.

Blog Entries
    I just finished my first trial of the faux cathedral window panel which is done mostly by machine. (I used the You-tube tutorial and fell in love with the method) The colors are much softer in real life. This one, I sewed the floral pieces in by hand. Then I did a second block and sewed everything by machine. Easy-breezy. No pic of that one yet.

Here is the Cathedral Window quilt I did. It was all done by machine also and actually not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I just love these quilts!

Beautiful quilts!! Looks very hard, but thanks for the link marsye.

Beautiful pillow and quilt.

I love these, and have to try it by machine. I have only ever done them by hand!

[

mock cathedral window:

http://sunshinescreations.vintagethr...l-windows.html[/quote]

I used the mock cathedral window tutorial once and made some blocks for a row robin. It is very easy. They came out ok, but not as pretty as the original cathedral window.

Margie

btw good tutorials....anxious to see the rest of sunshine's when she posts it.

Hi Robin - here is a link to my Christmas Pillow. I did mine by hand (but I really do like the look of Eddies) and was pleased with the results.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28244-1.htm

So far you have gotten lots of good advice but if you have specific questions I would be happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    I have some mock Cathedrals started. They were good hand work while we traveled. The quilt they are going in is on the short list of UFO's to finish this year!

Those are beautiful quilt. I have never tried on. I'm a little intimidated by them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Those are beautiful quilt. I have never tried on. I'm a little intimidated by them.
    No reason to be intimidated because they are really very simple! They just look complicated but they are not!

It's absolutely beautiful. In my research I've found so many tutorials....I guess I just need to get out there and try a couple till I find what I like. Thank you for sharing it's truly beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBirdie
    Help! I had talked to a woman on here about cathedral windows and of course I don't have the PM. I would love to ask her a question. Or course if anyone else can help me would be great!

Has anyone used the book "Cathedral Windows" by Lynne Edwards? I am trying to "teach" myself and have gotten myself all confussed. Also I am using another site using a different method from Hyena In Petticoats. I'm stuck on a step that just isnt clear to me using the book.

I think it would be easier PMing than just rambling on and on...lol. Thank you in advance for any help!

:) Robin
    Please tell us which step you are stuck on so we can help you. PM's are nice but deprives others of learning something they might be stuck on too. (My personal opinion.)
    Eddie was being modest in his update. He did an excellent tutorial for us. This is the link. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35742-1.htm
    I use the method that irons the square (http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot....-tutorial.html )where Eddie's tutorial machine sews it. The photos in his tutorial are so good that his method was set in my brain. When I was doing my practice pieces I could see his photos in my brain and I knew just what to do.
    The challenge I have is keeping the window fabric from poking out from under the window frame corners. I am thinking I might use a basting spray (?505?) on that step.
    For anyone who has thought they would like to make a Cathedral Windows please take Eddie's tutorial and make a practice piece of a few windows. You can use your scraps. You will be amazed how easy it is and oh so beautiful.

One of my practice pieces. You can do it too!
    Name:  Attachment-99146.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  29.8 KB

Blog Entries
    Marsye, that was so kind of you to offer the website to everyone one the board, especially since you make up kits and sell them. What a generous person you are.

Blog Entries
    I just realized this post was created in January. Sorry. I didn't look at the date created before I made my update.

Love your Cathedral Window cushion Eddie - mine were done previously by hand sewing, but I've just made friends with the applique stitch on my Brother Innovis 4000D whilst doing sunflower wall hanging and that would be a good stitch to try - it is a beautiful old pattern, thanks for sharing

Kimmers, your quilt is beautiful and I love the colours, well done :thumbup:

January seems so long ago, but Cathedral Window is always worth a re-visit, especially now that it is being sewn on the machine rather than by hand.

I was thinking of trying the hyenna in petticoats first....So I'll keep ya'll posted! :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast