Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cats in the sewing room???

farscapegal
    I am extremely allergic to cats. My question is if you let your cats on your fabric and quilts do you tell the people you are giving them to that you have cats and they have been on the fabric?

Just curious.

Sybil

Any body that I know also knows that I have cats. I guess that I have just assumed that they would know that the cats could have been in touch with the quilt at some time.

I sew in a corner of my dining room. There are always cats around me. My quilting frame is in my bedroom and there are cats sleeping on that. OMG they are everywhere. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My two cats are in here....ALL the time!:lol: I cover my WIP with a sheet when I'm not working on it. The shelf that has fat quarters has a towel over it. I have to pick up needles/pins. I rather like them in here....as if I had any choice!! :? As for fur....it's all over the house. I REALLY try to keep it under control when I make something for others. And I ALWAYS wash anything for a baby before I give it to the parent/child.

I have a Persian who LOVES to open doors and drawers. She curlls her claws around the knobs or handles and pulls until she gets it open. then she climbs in and goes to sleep. I must have left one of my cabinets just slightly open. Yesterday I was searching the stash for a new quilt. I opened the cabinet and out she popped. Scared me half to death cause I didn't expect her to be there. The favorite spot is on the ironing board in front of the big picture window.

I keep several sticky rollers handy.

When my puppy, Sandy was a baby (five weeks old,her mama died) she was happiest climbing into my scrap box and pulling scraps out on the floor. Since she was so young, she seemed to "feel" the other puppies around her. Of course, my sewing room floor was a mess for several weeks till she found her bed was okay.

My two babies both follow me around like little puppies all day long. Wherever I'm at, that's where they want to be. They haven't yet discovered the beautiful cat playthings on my sewing tables or cutting table. I have a patio door in my sewing room where they sit/sleep for hours in the sunshine. I have one who wants to get in my lap when I'm at the computer or sewing machine though. They both love empty cardboard boxes to play and sleep in so I keep one in my sewing room -- seems to keep them off everything else... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    My two babies both follow me around like little puppies all day long. Wherever I'm at, that's where they want to be. They haven't yet discovered the beautiful cat playthings on my sewing tables or cutting table. I have a patio door in my sewing room where they sit/sleep for hours in the sunshine. I have one who wants to get in my lap when I'm at the computer or sewing machine though. They both love empty cardboard boxes to play and sleep in so I keep one in my sewing room -- seems to keep them off everything else... :lol:
    I also have 2 cats who love empty boxes and bags. They don't bother anything in the sewing room; they sleep and look out the window. Have never caused any problems and they are both 10 years old from the same litter.

I love my two kitties, but they aren't allowed in the sewing room, which also doubles as a guest room if necessary. I usually keep the door open, though, and they'll curl up just outside the door, keeping an eye on me. If my attention wanders, one or both of them will try to sneak in, and sometimes they're successful! I just don't want cat hair all over everything, and don't want to take the chance of them eating something they shouldn't (they both have weird tastes) or getting hurt. Oddly enough, it's my husband who is allergic, and he was the one who wanted to have cats, and would gladly let them in our bedroom if I agreed to it. He takes a pill every day so he can love on the kitties.

No thread eating kitties in our house, but Miss Kitty is my constant companion in the sewing room. We had a friend's cat stay with us for several months. I have a large stuffed kitty that holds tools, needles etc. and the tail is for pins. (It's my avatar if I ever learn how to add it!) I couldn't figure out why those pins were on my table each morning. You guessed it, she would come in and take a hold of the little colored heads, pull them out of the tail and leave them on the table. The pins had to disappear until she left us.

I CAN RELATE TO FURRY KIDS HELPING. WE HAVE OUR GRANDSON'S 2 YEAR OLD CAT LIVING WITH US SINCE HE MOVED AWAY, AND SHE IS CONSTANTLY IN MY SEWING ROOM WITH ME. WHEN I AM SEWING ON THE MACHINE SHE LOVES TO JUMP UP BEHIND THE MACHINE AND "HELP" PULL THE FABRIC THROUGH. UNFORTUNATELY SHE HAS GOTTEN QUITE BIG AND TAKES UP MOST OF THE SPACE IF HAVE FOR THE FABRIC. WE JUST ADOPTED A LITTLE POODLE MIX AND SHE IS NOW MY CONSTANT COMPANION IN THE SEWING ROOM ALSO. SHE USUALLY SLEEPS IN MY GRANDSON'S CHAIR NEXT TO ME WHEN I AM SEWING AND PATIENTLY WAITS FOR ME TO FINISH AND GO BACK UPSTAIRS. GOT TO LOVE THE HELPERS.

Thanks for all that advice. I have always been a dog lover and have had several. But now with being out of the house so much a dog was not in the picture. Feeling deprived of the love of a pet we decided on a cats. It just so happened that my mother-in-laws cat was pregnant. In just a few weeks we will welcome two kittens to our home. I did not know about the problems with all the threads. I have no way of locking them out of my sewing room since it doesn't have a door. Guess I will have to be more diligent about cleaning up my messes. Their names are going to be Millie after my mom and Ruby after her sister. I love them both dearly as I know I will the cats. Any other advice is welcomed. Thank you.

I used to have 2 cats, They LOVE to be on top of anything you are attempting! I have a quilt I started to machine quilt ... maybe 10 years ago, I pulled it out of the storage bin.. that thing is COVERED with hair from my beloved Inky, I put it back in the container, I thought I might like to finish it, and give it as a gift.... I'll have to see if the hair will come off. I learned that you can't leave your quilt on the HandiQuilter and leave the room either. Cats love a hammock! My rails never were the same after Inky had his big butt on that top. His sister was content to lay on my lap, but would swat me if I had to move, and she was too fat to fit under the table, I never accomplished as much with her there. Now that they're both gone, I really miss having them around. My Greyhound never comes into my sewing room.

I adore my furry home companions, but prefer that they NOT sleep on my WIPs as their fur ends up sticking out of seams and getting stuck under my quilting stitches. After the quilts are done, it's a whole lot easier getting their hair offa the quilts!

I had to move an extra chair into my sewing room because Forest,(very long haired!!!) has to be able to watch what I am doing at all times. And then have a place to nap when he gets bored with the human activity. Although sometimes I am sure he is at least half human or he thinks so anyway. He also has his own chair by my computer. It is my old fabric covered desk chair and he has been using it for so long that it looks like it was made with cat fur...lol

All of us quilters who have pets MUST "Swiffer" hard floors every time we leave the space. Folks with carpeting MUST keep pets OUT or use a sticky roller faithfully! Kitties get threads stuck to their paws and then lick their paws! Dangerous ground for pets!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My cat Fifi just passed away last month, and when I made a slideshow of her pictures, I realized that she too was a quilt cat, always hanging out in the sewing room with me. I would have to shoo her off the batting under my longarm machine...

http://quiltscapesquilting.blogspot....s-of-fifi.html

Fifi
    Name:  Attachment-60518.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  31.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have to laugh. As I am sitting here reading the posts, I know it's not sewing, but my little 19 day old foster baby is sitting on my lap watching the screen. I think he can see the pointer moving and just can't quite figure it out. The other resident three kitties tend to want to supervise when I'm sewing. There have been several times when I have started to move the piece and found it VERY heavy. Sometimes I have found them under the folds. I definately would tell someone who was getting a quilt that didn't know me that I had cats. I wouldn't want to be the cause of any allergic reaction. At that point, it would be their decision to accept or decline the quilt. Fortunately, I have not encountered the problem. My guest is also used as the foster kitty nursery so I also let people know if they are staying here. Plans are in works to take DS's room for the kitty nursery since he isn't home much anymore. He can use the guest room when he comes. The last litter really did a number on the mahogany finish. My first kitten was playing with some yarn and somehow got it wrapped around the bottom of a table then around his neck. I found him hanging. He seemed OK but DH said maybe some of his "problems" came from being oxygen deprived. I keep everything like that off the ground now, I don't want to take any chances, especially with the number of little ones I have around. I only know that I would be lost without them. They make me laugh, cry, sleep less, and lose myself in wonder at the things they do. Our furbabies love us and we love them. Could we do anything less?
    Until they all have home,
    Wendy B

I have Annie, she is a gray kitty that came to live with us almost 2 years ago. She was a stray. I keep my snips and loose threads picked up, also the pincushions are a no-no and kept out of sight when I'm not sewing. Sometimes Annie is like a 2-year old human to have around, snooping into everything. Annie is also quilt inspector.

Even if I tried to keep mine out, they would find a way in, or rattle the door so loudly I would open it for them. I am also vigilant about keeping threads and small bits of fabric cleaned up (I have a small covered basket on the table) so no one has access to them. I've been working to get a couple of quilts ready for a show, and got lots of help attaching the binding. I thought you all might enjoy a photo of two members of my quality control department hard at work. Nothing leaves my workroom without being thoroughly tested (and then washed, of course) for its nap-worthiness!! This photo is of Binky Marie and Bobbo. Sewing on a binding with an extra 15 or so pounds attached to a quilt is no easy feat!!

The "help"
    Name:  Attachment-60943.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  61.5 KB

Blog Entries
    I also have 2 cats and I use my bed to lay out blocks so I have to shoo them out occasionally. When I iron a top they try to lay on whatever hangs on the floor. They also like to lounge on my large cutting surface because it faces the window and they can look at the birds. The only bad part is when I am trying to cut and a tail swishes back and forth. I tell them one of these days they will become bob-tailed but they want me to know they want some undivided attention and they aren't going away anytime soon. If I close them outside my sewing room they stick their paws underneath the door and try to open it. There's no winning for me so I just learn to live with it. I do have quilts across the back of my couches that they love to sit on. I pick up enough cat hair on a daily basis to create a new kitten!

Blog Entries
    I have 3 black cats so cat fur is evident on everything I do. I also keep plenty of sticky rollers around. My cats don't eat thread but I do have to hide all our flip flops! They were getting sick all over the house before we realized/saw the mangled flip flop. I have also caught My Sam trying to chew on the metal thread guides on my serger!

this is the flip flop, we keep this pic as a reminder not to leave them out!
    Name:  Attachment-61009.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  32.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I worried about my cats sleeping on my ufos, but my cats are so clean that the fabric is probably worse off for me touching it than it is for anything they might do. I didn't like my cat rubbing against my hand when I'm cutting though, so I made her a bed out of some old pillows and a scrap of fleece. She didn't like it at first, but then I got some dried catnip and sprinkled it over the fleece. Now she loves it and she stays off my projects. I call it "kitty cocaine."

My cat decides it has to be involved. It chooses to either lay on what I'm working on, or be invlolved in whatever I'm doing. It's a younger cat that kept my older cat happy that "really didn't care" about my quilting. I've learned to live with this cat's interest in my quilting since he was a wondeful companion to my older cat prior to his demise.

Linda

Banned
    Blog Entries
    my kitties stay away from my sewing stuff, so no car hair for me. Penny

We lost our 17-year-old cat, Chester, just before Christmas. I would love to have a cat leaving hair everywhere again (a trip to the shelter is not far off in my future!).

The shop were I will be taking my latest quilt to be quilted asks that if pets have been around a quilt, please run it through the dryer (on low or air-only) to get rid of any hair and dander. Seems reasonable to me since the quilter may be allergic to cats or dogs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast