Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: the chairman quit...

the chairman quit...

And now I'm it. Our guild was asked to do a smallish quilt show at the arts center here. I volunteered to assist the chairman. Her husband has some ongoing health issues and his health has gone downhill again and he'll be having several appointments in the near future. So now I'm the chairman. I hope I can pull it off.

Wish me luck!!

Blog Entries
    I have never organized one of those, so I can only wish you good luck and plenty of chocolate!

Reading, cooking, sewing in retirement! Heaven!
    I'm proud to say that I'm a member of the Quilt A Month Club for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative! www.alzquilts.org
    I have a blog on QB now -- please drop in!

You can do it!
    Mazda

Sounds like you have a big job ahead of you. Where is Kansas are you? I grew up in Wellington. Kansas will always be home. Kansas people are the greatest. Good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost View Post
    I have never organized one of those, so I can only wish you good luck and plenty of chocolate!

Chocolate!! Good plan. I'll get the large economy size bag of M&Ms immediately!!

Quote Originally Posted by quilterlois View Post
    Sounds like you have a big job ahead of you. Where is Kansas are you? I grew up in Wellington. Kansas will always be home. Kansas people are the greatest. Good luck with your project.
    I'm in Liberal. It's in the far southwest corner. We have a Wizard of Oz museum here, hence the "there's no place like home" location. I'll be in Aurora for a couple of hours or so tomorrow. I'm just going to drive there and drop off my girlfriend and turn around and come home though.

I've never chaired a quilt show, but have done a church fair. Just remember to rely on the others in the guild who have done the show before. Chocolate for you and them!
    Arlene

Power Poster
    Wishing you, the quilt, the show, and the chairman and her husband well.

I'm sure you will do just fine. Just sit down and make a list of what needs to be done and when. I chair our guilds show and that was how I started. Another big help is to deligate to others. It's kind of hard at first, but just know that YOU can't do it all yourself. Have committees and let them do their jobs.

Just remember to breathe!

You go girl! You can do it!!!

The key is to think positive, invite all members of your guild to assist in planning the show, really listen to all of their suggestions and even if you don't plan to act upon them, thank them for their participation. Do your share of the tasks that need to be done but, don't be afraid to delecate tasks to others. You will be surprised at the number of people that would really like to get involved if they were given the opportunity but would never ever have the courage to volunteer. Good luck with your show and may it turn out to be the best one ever.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    You can do it! Make the other members help you...I bet you will just have to ask and they will help you! Also, call the ex-chair for input..she will be happy to get to give you a hand even if it is just verbal.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

That's the kind of thing that happens to me. I volunteer to help and end up with the whole job. You can do it and don't forget to ask for as much help as you need. Be sure to take pictures and let us know how it turns out. I recently went to a small show that was held in a church. The quilts were draped over the pews. They had some very old quilts. It was a very nice show. Some of the old quilts were very detailed and all the quilts were beautiful. Someday I will remember to bring my camera to these shows.
    Sue

Now that you've been "promoted", you need to find yourself an assistant. Good luck!

mim
    ask everyone in the guild to help you. I'm sure when they realise the circumstances, they will be willing to pitch in. Have a list of things that need to be done and give small parts to each one. You will have a "bank" of helpers for next year as well.

Good luck. Ask others who may have helped in the past to give you poin
    Mimters

Banned
    I recommend you get the little book "Guide to Judged Qult Shows" from the National Quilting Association.
    While it deals with the judging process, there is good information about obtaining quilts, checking them in and returning.

Banned
    also. if you will google "organizing a quilt show" there is lots of good information there. In fact more than I ever expected including job descriptions of various committees.

Don't forget to delegate! There are some things that you can't do alone. Get some volunteers.

Pick a co-chairman and some committee members and you will do wonderful.
    Lorraine