Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chalk marking >

Chalk marking

Chalk marking

Old 03-27-2024, 03:53 AM

Default Chalk marking

When marking quilting designs with school or taylors chalk, is it best to marekthe entire piece to be quilted at once, or just a section at a time. I would think that the lines would rub off or smear if doing the complete top . Need to know before moving forward with my quilt design.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:14 AM

I found that the chalk rubbed off or was not visible enough to follow. Crayola washable markers were purchased, but I don't use the reds. I stick to the blues, greens, and browns. It even washed out of the white Glow in the Dark fabric that I used.
Attached Thumbnails starfish-marker.jpg  
Old 03-27-2024, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I go with a section at a time because sometimes the chalk disappears. I also like those washable markers but I use chalk too.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:23 AM

The last washable marker I used was purple....had to machine wash the item 4 times before it would come out. Spray n Wash was no help getting it all out.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:47 AM

be careful with tailor's chalk. I got some that was made with wax and never did wash out.
It was not intended to wash out bcuz it was meant for garment construction - used on the inside of garments - in the seams.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

I use a large pencil sharpener on regular chalkboard chalk in white. I do just the section I will be quilting at a time.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 1CharmShort View Post
be careful with tailor's chalk. I got some that was made with wax and never did wash out.
It was not intended to wash out bcuz it was meant for garment construction - used on the inside of garments - in the seams.
agree completely with chall. I marked a quilt with chacos and years later it is still visible and I tried everything under the sun. Maybe school
chalk - that regular white stuff is better but I never could get it sharp enough without breaking. I do have some white chalk pencils but I use them sparingly.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:31 PM

General's Charcoal White is my favorite marking tool. It's not chalk, it's charcoal. It sharpens better, stays on better and comes off with a rub from my Machingers or an eraser.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:29 AM

I use a pounce pad or chalk in a roller applicator. Mark a large section and lightly spray with hairspray to keep the chalk in place. Once quilt is complete, I wash the quilt in cold water to remove any chalk/hairspray residue. I have also used deli papers to trace the design, pin the paper in place and stitch through the paper and remove once the sewing is complete. The paper is semi transparent so you can see where to place it and removes quite easily once the design is quilted. I have also tried paper that was meant to cover an exam table in the doctors office, but found it was more difficult to remove than the deli paper.