Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chalk >

Chalk

Chalk

Old 11-14-2021, 05:36 AM

Default Chalk

What have you found is the best chalk for marking? I'm looking for something to mark straight lines (or maybe slight curves) for quilting my quilt together. I've seen triangular ones advertised, are they good to use? Must be washable and I'm "assuming" all chalk is, but you never know. And something that makes narrow lines as opposed to thicker. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2021, 05:41 AM

I've heard that old fashioned school chalk work well.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:54 AM

Always look to see what it says about use and washability and such.

I don't know if there is ever a perfect/best product, so many variables. I have used the old fashioned chalk, dressmaker chalk, other chalks. The texture of the fabric can make a big difference. Typically I prefer the lowest tech/cheapest item, but I will buy an expensive pencil or whatever is needed for me to see which is an increasing challenge.

I'm a fan of the Pounce Pad chalk with Full Line Stencils and recently got the Ultimate Marking Pencil. It worked great for half my recent project but then my dog ate it... she does that to chapstick and pencils and pretty much anything that drops.
https://fulllinestencil.com/ultimate...ng-pencil.html

The sliver of soap can be a great marker, just shave it down to the point you want.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I use white school board chalk that I sharpen with a large pencil sharpener. It’s inexpensive and easy to remove with an old dry toothbrush. Do NOT use coloured chalk as it will stain. The trailer chalk squares sometimes contain wax which makes it difficult to remove.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Please do a test to see if it washes out. I used a Chaco yellow on something I was hand quitting and it Took a long time to finish and some of that chalk never washed out no matter how many methods I tried.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Please do a test to see if it washes out. I used a Chaco yellow on something I was hand quitting and it Took a long time to finish and some of that chalk never washed out no matter how many methods I tried.
I have always heard bad things about the color yellow ... seems like it doesn't matter what form it comes in, it's hard to wash out.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Agree with "avoid colours" because of the stain risks!
I've never had luck with any of the pencil crayon style chalks.
They've always seemed to break more than stay together!!

Depending on what type of marking I do, my white choices are below.
All disappear or mostly so, by the time I have finished the quilting.

* For straight line markings against a ruler ....
Clover 4712 Pen Style Chaco Liner White : Amazon.ca: Home

* A finer point than traditional chalk, for freehand or against a ruler. However, it dulls and if a fine line is needed, regular re-sharpening is required. (I only use the white in these refills) .....
Dritz 3095 Quilting Chalk Cartridge Set : Amazon.ca: Home

* A nice sharp line whether freehand or against a ruler. In most cases, my first choice! ....
Dritz 7757 Fons and Porter Mechanical Fabric Pencil, White : Amazon.ca: Home

*****Disclaimer***** I am not recommending Amazon because of these links.
Just an easy place to give you info and photos.

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-14-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

For those that follow ...... Your comments, Please? and Thanks!
I've never used these.
How do they work for our quilting purposes?

Clover Triangle Tailors Chalk, White : Amazon.ca: Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
Dritz 748 Tailor's Chalk and Holder : Amazon.ca: Home
Old 11-14-2021, 10:29 AM

A gentleman who teaches applique techniques at a local quilt shop said he uses number two pencils. I think he said he erases any lines that show, but he preferred working with something familiar and simple.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:30 PM

Thank you for your help and the hints about using yellow! I've been reading reviews on some marking items and it seems the triangular pieces of chalk I was originally looking at are very prone to breaking, often arriving in several places. I've been using a mechanical lead pencil and the main problem I've been having is that I have to bear down hard and that "pushes" the fabric somewhat, making things uneven. I'm trying to avoid this, hoping to find something that only requires a light touch. I've put the clover 4712 and dritz 7751 in my amazon shopping cart. Oh my, when I put the dritz in the cost was about $20.00, it just jumped to almost $40!!! That one might be out!

Edited to add, price of the dritz is back down to about $13. I was going by the above links which are for Amazon Canada, I'm in the US.

Last edited by MeadowMist; 11-14-2021 at 05:36 PM.