Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing Needles >

Changing Needles

Changing Needles

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 AM

other than looking at the container the needle came in..Just how do you tell what size the needle is...there are not markings on the needle.... am i the only one who has this question....
Old 05-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I can tell by the way my machine sounds. There is this faint thunking noise and then I know to change the needle. My kids can't hear it but I can.
Like shifting gears in the car, go by the sound. The length of time you use a needle varies according to the type material you are using.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:11 AM

Oh dear, my needle always stayed in my machine until it broke, but now I seem to be changing it too often. I have to pay about 7$ for a box of 5 decent needles, so my DH is always saying "what are you doing with the damned things?" but now I feel justified. A fascinating thread - thanks to you all for your input.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 AM

I have to admit, that I get the most mileage out of them that I can....now if I am doing paper piecing, a new #11 is a must.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 AM

I change my needle after every project. I also use a finer needle for quilting than I do for piecing, so will often use the same needle to piece several quilts.

IF your machine starts making clicking or clunking noises, it usually means you need a new needle. Needles aren't that expensive that you can't change them....your fabrics are worth it!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by rkymtnquilter
I change my needle after every project. I also use a finer needle for quilting than I do for piecing, so will often use the same needle to piece several quilts.

IF your machine starts making clicking or clunking noises, it usually means you need a new needle. Needles aren't that expensive that you can't change them....your fabrics are worth it!
I always watch for the sales and get several packages. JoAnns has coupons for use when they are not on sale. Guild members get a 10% discount there even if items are on sale, EXCEPT for the Accuquilt.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Don't go by me - I'm very bad! I change them when they break or else when my machine starts to sound strange. Must develop good habits!!
Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I can tell by the way my machine sounds. There is this faint thunking noise and then I know to change the needle. My kids can't hear it but I can.
Ditto. The sound changes. I was in a class at Viking, and the instructor/owner called out a student for having a dull needle. She could hear it across the room. Also, if not sewing right, and nothing else works, change your needle right after you try rethreading.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Only when they break.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:28 PM

I can usually tell by the sound. Haven't used the titanium needles but they definitely look interesting.

I wouldn't mind changing needles more often if they weren't on the expensive side. I did find a place online that sells Organ needles in bulk/100 for only $19 and have been thinking of buying them, then I wouldn't mind changing my needle often. Organ needles are supposed to be very good needles.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA