Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing Sewing Machine Needles >

Changing Sewing Machine Needles

Changing Sewing Machine Needles

Old 07-06-2010, 02:39 PM

Several years ago one of the magazines, I think it was Quilter's Newsletter, ran an article about needles. A quilter who had access to an electron microscope at her day job got electron micro photos of needles, new and at various stages of wear. What an eye opener!!
Remember needles are coated with a thin layer of "chrome" and it can chip or wear off in places. Think of what chrome bumpers look like after wear. Those little chips and worn parts can affect the way the needle operates. And can work with or against the thread and fabric.
It is important to change needles often because they wear, worn needles do not make good stitches. Worn needles can cause the yarns in the fabric to fray and pop, which causes holes. and all sorts of things.

Buy needles when they are on sale, or in bulk and change frequently. If you wait until you hear it "pop" through the fabric you are way past when you should change it. <G>

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Originally Posted by ReRe
Can anyone out there help me understand the WHY of why we should change our sewing machine needles so often? I have enough to change mine once a week for the next 6 months and have some more on the way that a friend is gifting me with. I am just curious as to the WHY of what we do. Anyone?

ReRe
Old 07-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Sewing machine needles dull after hours of use, and can also develop little burrs. Sewing with a damaged needle creates larger holes in your fabric, and if it is really damaged (burrs) it can bend as it goes through your fabric and possible break in your bobbin area. They can damage your machine or cause a problem with the timing.

When you hear a popping noise as you sew, you are overdue for a new needle. They should be replaced after each project or approx. 8 hours of sewing...sooner if you hear the popping.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 PM

I should change my needle more often that what I do. I have always been taught to change a needle for each new project. But I usually watch my sewing line and if it looks rough or the upper thread keeps breaking, it is time to change.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:42 PM

I purchase my needles in bulk and change often. Much cheaper to buy in bulk than to use % off coupons at JoAnn and such places
Old 07-06-2010, 04:51 PM

When I first started quilting little over a year ago, the quilting guild I belong to had a program on sewing machines and said it was a good ideal to change the needle after every project, since you could have stitched more than a million stitches for one project.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Where do you buy in bulk?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 AM

I buy in bulk from J Hittles.
http://www.jhittlesewing.com/visitor/index_jhs.html
You will need to register with them first. I get an email every week telling me what their specials of the week are.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 AM

A sharp needle is like a sharp knife - when dull they hurt like sin.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by oldhag
I buy my needles by the hundred packs. I change mine frequently....saves a lot of trouble . Why worry about a nickle piece when you're using a machine that is worth a lot of money and chance having to send in your machine for repairs or ruining your work. Seems like cheap insurance.
Ditto. I asked my Pfaff dealer if I could buy 100 Schmetz needles at a time, and I could - at a discount that was better than 50% off at JoAnn's. I imagine you could do the same at a LQS. Probably not at JoAnn's LOL. I agree with everyone regarding changing needles often - cheaper than machine repairs or ruining a quilt.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:53 PM

I normally break them way before they need changing. A new needle often makes better stitches.

Blessings,

Sharon