Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charges for Quilting >

Charges for Quilting

Charges for Quilting

Old 12-04-2020, 05:12 PM

Default Charges for Quilting

Hi quilters! I was asked to quilt a top that looks to be a good queen size. I told the lady I usually just quilt for family. The girls had found a top, their now 89 year old mom had pieced, but never quilted. I asked if it was hand or machine pieced, a photo of quilt top, size, etc but I wasn’t saying I would quilt it. She gave me info. I gave her info telling her all I do is meander quilting and sent her 4 pics of quilts I made. I told her they may want it custom quilted and I don’t do that. All this being said, how do you rate the price for stipple or meander quilting one this size? Do they provide everything except the thread? What other things do I need to know or ask before I commit or not? They don’t need it for Christmas so no rush job. Thanks for any input , ahead of time- Toogie
Old 12-04-2020, 07:13 PM

If you're going to quilt for hire, then charge appropriately. Check into the going rate in your area. In my area, any basic edge-to-edge, meandering, or panto is $.02 (two cents) per square inch, if it's a medium or dense pattern then it's $.03/sq in. Custom quilting starts at $.04/inch and goes up from there, depending on how dense and complicated it is. Most longarmers prefer to use specific threads, so there's usually a thread charge per bobbin, $1.75 for regular and $2.75 for variegated or specialty. There are extra charges for: if the top or back needs excessive pressing, non-standard prep work such as fixing/mending seamwork, odd edges, sewing or piecing the backing, using multiple thread colors, etc. They can bring their own batting or if you prefer to quilt with a specific batting, let them know.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
If you're going to quilt for hire, then charge appropriately. Check into the going rate in your area. In my area, any basic edge-to-edge, meandering, or panto is $.02 (two cents) per square inch, if it's a medium or dense pattern then it's $.03/sq in. Custom quilting starts at $.04/inch and goes up from there, depending on how dense and complicated it is. Most longarmers prefer to use specific threads, so there's usually a thread charge per bobbin, $1.75 for regular and $2.75 for variegated or specialty. There are extra charges for: if the top or back needs excessive pressing, non-standard prep work such as fixing/mending seamwork, odd edges, sewing or piecing the backing, using multiple thread colors, etc. They can bring their own batting or if you prefer to quilt with a specific batting, let them know.
Yep, this pretty much says it all! I’d just add do not undercharge. You’ll never be able to raise your prices without a squabble from customers and you’ll be diminishing the market. Charge the going rate.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:18 AM

I would ask to see the quilt. Quilts that were hand pieced sometimes have puckers. These quilts are hard to maneuver for them to lay flat. This may not be the case with this quilt, but I would like to see it before I commit.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltBaer View Post
I would ask to see the quilt. Quilts that were hand pieced sometimes have puckers. These quilts are hard to maneuver for them to lay flat. This may not be the case with this quilt, but I would like to see it before I commit.
The lady did send me 3 pictures of it and 2 close up ones too. Seams look great. I had thought of that because I’ve heard horror stories from other quilters about seams coming apart. I may ask to see the actual seam stitching but she has done a good job piecing as far as I can tell.
I know in my state and we are a poor state, that a friend of mine pays a friend of hers $100 to LA quilt her quilts about 80 x 90 size I’m guessing. I thought of asking $150 to $200 because this one seems a little larger. I would like more, but like I said we are in a poor state.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:30 AM

Default Which machine for quilting?

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
Hi quilters! I was asked to quilt a top that looks to be a good queen size. I told the lady I usually just quilt for family. The girls had found a top, their now 89 year old mom had pieced, but never quilted. I asked if it was hand or machine pieced, a photo of quilt top, size, etc but I wasn’t saying I would quilt it. She gave me info. I gave her info telling her all I do is meander quilting and sent her 4 pics of quilts I made. I told her they may want it custom quilted and I don’t do that. All this being said, how do you rate the price for stipple or meander quilting one this size? Do they provide everything except the thread? What other things do I need to know or ask before I commit or not? They don’t need it for Christmas so no rush job. Thanks for any input , ahead of time- Toogie
Toogie, you didn't mention if you're using a DSM, mid-arm or long arm machine for this piecing. That would have a serious effect on the amount of time you'd spend on it.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
Toogie, you didn't mention if you're using a DSM, mid-arm or long arm machine for this piecing. That would have a serious effect on the amount of time you'd spend on it.
I use a Queenquilter 18 long arm. No bells and whistles, no frame. I move the quilt, not the machine. I would love the frame, so I could move the machine, but I don’t have room for it. I think I could quilt ‘designs’ better with a frame, on these large Queen & King quilts I make.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

If you decide to quilt it all I can say is good luck.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:58 PM

Be careful. Many old quilt tops weren’t quilted for a reason. The top May have puckers or other problems with it. Consider this when you are deciding whether to do this job.