Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charges for Quilting >

Charges for Quilting

Charges for Quilting

Old 12-04-2020, 05:12 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 1,029
Default Charges for Quilting

Hi quilters! I was asked to quilt a top that looks to be a good queen size. I told the lady I usually just quilt for family. The girls had found a top, their now 89 year old mom had pieced, but never quilted. I asked if it was hand or machine pieced, a photo of quilt top, size, etc but I wasnít saying I would quilt it. She gave me info. I gave her info telling her all I do is meander quilting and sent her 4 pics of quilts I made. I told her they may want it custom quilted and I donít do that. All this being said, how do you rate the price for stipple or meander quilting one this size? Do they provide everything except the thread? What other things do I need to know or ask before I commit or not? They donít need it for Christmas so no rush job. Thanks for any input , ahead of time- Toogie
toogie is offline  
Old 12-04-2020, 07:13 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 8,095
Default

If you're going to quilt for hire, then charge appropriately. Check into the going rate in your area. In my area, any basic edge-to-edge, meandering, or panto is $.02 (two cents) per square inch, if it's a medium or dense pattern then it's $.03/sq in. Custom quilting starts at $.04/inch and goes up from there, depending on how dense and complicated it is. Most longarmers prefer to use specific threads, so there's usually a thread charge per bobbin, $1.75 for regular and $2.75 for variegated or specialty. There are extra charges for: if the top or back needs excessive pressing, non-standard prep work such as fixing/mending seamwork, odd edges, sewing or piecing the backing, using multiple thread colors, etc. They can bring their own batting or if you prefer to quilt with a specific batting, let them know.
Peckish is offline  
Old 12-05-2020, 03:54 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
cindi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grove City, OH
Posts: 925
Default

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
If you're going to quilt for hire, then charge appropriately. Check into the going rate in your area. In my area, any basic edge-to-edge, meandering, or panto is $.02 (two cents) per square inch, if it's a medium or dense pattern then it's $.03/sq in. Custom quilting starts at $.04/inch and goes up from there, depending on how dense and complicated it is. Most longarmers prefer to use specific threads, so there's usually a thread charge per bobbin, $1.75 for regular and $2.75 for variegated or specialty. There are extra charges for: if the top or back needs excessive pressing, non-standard prep work such as fixing/mending seamwork, odd edges, sewing or piecing the backing, using multiple thread colors, etc. They can bring their own batting or if you prefer to quilt with a specific batting, let them know.
Yep, this pretty much says it all! Iíd just add do not undercharge. Youíll never be able to raise your prices without a squabble from customers and youíll be diminishing the market. Charge the going rate.
cindi is offline  
Old 12-05-2020, 04:18 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 241
Default

I would ask to see the quilt. Quilts that were hand pieced sometimes have puckers. These quilts are hard to maneuver for them to lay flat. This may not be the case with this quilt, but I would like to see it before I commit.
QuiltBaer is offline  
Old 12-05-2020, 09:07 AM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 1,029
Default

Originally Posted by QuiltBaer View Post
I would ask to see the quilt. Quilts that were hand pieced sometimes have puckers. These quilts are hard to maneuver for them to lay flat. This may not be the case with this quilt, but I would like to see it before I commit.
The lady did send me 3 pictures of it and 2 close up ones too. Seams look great. I had thought of that because Iíve heard horror stories from other quilters about seams coming apart. I may ask to see the actual seam stitching but she has done a good job piecing as far as I can tell.
I know in my state and we are a poor state, that a friend of mine pays a friend of hers $100 to LA quilt her quilts about 80 x 90 size Iím guessing. I thought of asking $150 to $200 because this one seems a little larger. I would like more, but like I said we are in a poor state.
toogie is offline  
Old 12-05-2020, 09:30 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 780
Default Which machine for quilting?

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
Hi quilters! I was asked to quilt a top that looks to be a good queen size. I told the lady I usually just quilt for family. The girls had found a top, their now 89 year old mom had pieced, but never quilted. I asked if it was hand or machine pieced, a photo of quilt top, size, etc but I wasnít saying I would quilt it. She gave me info. I gave her info telling her all I do is meander quilting and sent her 4 pics of quilts I made. I told her they may want it custom quilted and I donít do that. All this being said, how do you rate the price for stipple or meander quilting one this size? Do they provide everything except the thread? What other things do I need to know or ask before I commit or not? They donít need it for Christmas so no rush job. Thanks for any input , ahead of time- Toogie
Toogie, you didn't mention if you're using a DSM, mid-arm or long arm machine for this piecing. That would have a serious effect on the amount of time you'd spend on it.
Jo Belmont is offline  
Old 12-05-2020, 10:49 AM
  #7  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 1,029
Default

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
Toogie, you didn't mention if you're using a DSM, mid-arm or long arm machine for this piecing. That would have a serious effect on the amount of time you'd spend on it.
I use a Queenquilter 18 long arm. No bells and whistles, no frame. I move the quilt, not the machine. I would love the frame, so I could move the machine, but I donít have room for it. I think I could quilt Ďdesignsí better with a frame, on these large Queen & King quilts I make.
toogie is offline  
Old 12-05-2020, 11:06 AM
  #8  
Power Poster
 
Jingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Outside St. Louis
Posts: 37,142
Default

If you decide to quilt it all I can say is good luck.
Jingle is offline  
Old 12-05-2020, 12:58 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,431
Default

Be careful. Many old quilt tops weren’t quilted for a reason. The top May have puckers or other problems with it. Consider this when you are deciding whether to do this job.
mjpEncinitas is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.