Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Charity Quilt Fabric

Quote Originally Posted by roxie623
    Tell me when you make charity quilts what fabric do you use? Is it fabric that you yourself would like in a quilt, is it a lower quality fabric that you got just for charity quilts, or is it fabric that you had and just didn't care for it after you purchased it? Also what type of pattern do you use? Something that works up quickly or one that may take a few days to work on? Thanks and I look forward to hearing everyones thoughts on this.
    I've inherited a ton of fabric. That's what I use. Some I hate to give up, but I know I don't NEED it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    Our guild made over 100 large size community quilts plus three dozen crib quilts and two dozen incubator quilts this past year. They were all from our guild's stash (all donated) which includes a wild assortment of fabric from the last fifty years. Most of our quilts are scrap quilts because most of our fabric is smaller pieces. We try to sort our fabric so that the poly/cottons are all together to be used in quilts that will be washed frequently. Much of the fabric is leftovers from member quilts or fabric that they are no longer in love with. I have seen some incredibly beautiful quilts come from these bins of fabric. At the worst, they are interesting or charming. Having the "best" fabric does not necessarily mean stitching the best quilt.
    Thank you for saying this. I believe that giving, with this attitude, is the most honest and respectful response for an act that shouldn't be burdened with guilt, but given with pride.

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I'm a fabric snob when it comes to charity quilts becasue they are going to kids. Everything is 100 cotton from top, batting to the back. I used poly batting one time and didn't like it. I used the bamboo ans didn't like it either so I just stick with cotton. Now the fabric comes from all different places and are better than others but all will be used. I pass the cotton blends and things onto others on this board so it is a win-win situation.

I have never made a quilt for charity that I wouldn't want to use in my own home. I do have a large stash of fabric (much of it inherited) so I pull from that a lot. And, there are many websites that I can purchase new high-quality fabric for as low as $2.50 a yard. Because of the cost involved, I don't make as many as I used to, but I still make them.

My quilts are all created the same (with love) and the fabric I have.

Blog Entries
    I usually use better fabric for charity quilts. To me, charity doesn't mean slap it together and get it out. It is a work of love that is worthy of special attention.

Amen Sister!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMama
    I would not use a fabric for someone that I would not use for myself. In fact, I often use better as it is going for someone in need and they are often downhearted and feel bad enough as it is. Try and lift their spirits.

it might depend on the charity. I think the Linus Project (quilts for kids) actually has a page at their website that says what they need for you to donate a quilt.
    100% washed cotton, washed in a non perfumey addative soap, made in a smoke free invironment - stuff like that. Its because sometimes babies/kids have allergies along with all the rest of the stuff they're going thru and they want the quilt to be theirs alone - something they can always have with them no one can take away.
    The quilt becomes a stable force for them, so they dont want them to find they have a allergy from it, its not because they're being picky about donations. sharet

Blog Entries
    I use my stash plus what wonderful ladies have given me to use.

The good stuff, whoever gets it I want them to have it for a very long time.

It depends on what the charity is doing with the quilts. If they are for children in the hospital, I use cute, good quality fabric. If they are sending them to a "rescue" place, I'm not so particular, because I'm never sure they aren't going to end up sitting somewhere soaking up water.

I wouldn't give away anything - whether it had my name on it or not - that I wouldn't be proud to give to my family, best friend, husband, etc. These quilts are supposed to be full of love and caring - not just using up "crap" we don't like. I'm not saying you can't incorporate a less than favorite fabric, but you can always find a pattern that doesn't make it the focal point. I do Hospice quilts and I make what ever pattern suits me. The freedom of chosing the pattern, the size, and the fabric is one of the reasons I love doing charity quilts. I don't have to consider someone's decor or favorite colors, bed size, etc. I don't know what charity you are donating to, but Hospice quilts are given to the family after their loved one passes on. I would DIE if I thought one of my quilts didn't hold up - and this was one of the last memories they have of their loved one.

I have bought quilt shop fabric, but I like to buy fabric for charity quilts at JoAnn's using a 40% off coupon. You have to watch the fabric a little, but it works great and quilts good. The patterns I use, one is called Warm Wishes (found it on the internet), the other is the disappearing nine patch. If I knew how to do pictures I would attach one.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    For charity quilts, I would only use fabrics that I would be happy with for a quilt of my own...it's just part of the "do unto others" thing as far as I'm concerned.
    I'm with you!! If you don't want to put the effort or quality in the donation, then maybe you should find another way to donate. Couldn't have said it better than you have.

Blog Entries
    This is what bothers me about people and charity quilts. Is Wal Mart or Jo Ann's classed as fabric not good enough for charity quilts. Do you assume that if you send a quilt to a poor person who does not have a thing and has lost everything in a flood or fire would question the quality of the fabric?? I sometimes feel there is a little snobyness in quilting. It sounds do me that some people even say excuse me but I could only use Wal Mart fabric etc. They all turn out pretty no matter what the price, as long as it is neat ,clean and sewed from the heart.

I will use fabric from pretty much any source, depending on the quality and feel of the particular fabric. Good stuff can come from many places. I look for quality, and won't use anything that I wouldn't use for my personal sewing. My charity group has a very large stash of donated fabric, which we are free to use. Some of the prints are very, shall we say, interesting, but my taste is not the same as someone elses, and they may find something beautiful that I don't care for.

Blog Entries
    I use scraps from quilts I have made which are all 100% cotton.

I am so gratified to see all generous souls in our quilt community. My guild makes many quilts for LeBonheur and St Jude childrens hospitals in town. We use fabric from our own stash's and usually put fleece on the back. (I have been lurking in the back for quite a while but felt that I had to compliment everyone on this issue) Thanks for all the great information you all generously share.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle
    This is what bothers me about people and charity quilts. Is Wal Mart or Jo Ann's classed as fabric not good enough for charity quilts. Do you assume that if you send a quilt to a poor person who does not have a thing and has lost everything in a flood or fire would question the quality of the fabric?? I sometimes feel there is a little snobyness in quilting. It sounds do me that some people even say excuse me but I could only use Wal Mart fabric etc. They all turn out pretty no matter what the price, as long as it is neat ,clean and sewed from the heart.
    I can see what you mean, but I think the question, for me at least, is why should a 'charity quilt' be synonymous with 'shoddy and thrown together from whatever'? From the discussions we've had on this topic here on the board, it is great to see that the vast majority of us make quilts to give to strangers, using the best of our knowledge, skills and resources.

I don't have much personal knowledge of Walmart's or Joann fabrics since I don't live in the US. I just feel that I want any quilt that leaves my home to be as good as it can be - not necessarily complicated, but warm, sturdy, cheerful, full of love and as pretty as possible.

Sorry for the rant, but I kind of cringe when I read an article that suggests I experiment with some new method and that if I don't like the result I can just give it to charity... No, I make winter beds for my felines with my 'experiments' and only give to others what I would want to receive!

The beautiful thing about charity quilting is that it is very individualistic. I could spend 200 hours and $200 on a charity quilt and make only 2 per year. Or I can take a simple design and decent fabrics from my stash, donations, or garage sales and make several per month.

In either case I want to make them attractive and lasting. I do not use loose weave fabric, and for children's quilts, I use 1/2 inch seams with small stitches.

I am a former coordinator for Project Linus, the biggest "downer" of the job for me was handling (and sometimes mending) the bad blankets when they came in. There weren't many, but the few that we had were demoralizing -- quilts made from old faded curtains, fabric with stains and holes, open seams, etc. Most recipients don't notice or care if the points are cut off on stars in piecing, but they do notice if the quilt comes out of the washing machine in rags.

Banned
    Come on now.........we made quilts out of poly/cotton for years. As long as it makes a good quilt, use what you have. I would not use see thru fabric but if it is the same weight. I would not hesitate using the 80/20 available if it all was that fabric. They last forever
    One time I sent a box of fabric to a group in Florida and in the box was some blended fabric. All the same weight and fabric I would have used. They would pay postage only for the amount that was not 100% cotton. Now you tell me what kind of chairity recepients do you find in South Florida.

Lets not be snobs about this issue. It has been disussed time after time. I appreciate the Alabama group as they will take any fabric that is suitable for chairity qulilts.

I assume those grandmothers always buy certified 100 ctton PJ's for their grandkids. Or 100% cotton in their pretty little dresses from The Gap or some other fancy shop.

It is time to rethink what we use in Chairity quilts. Use good fabric whatever the blend and do the best job you can. They are lovelingly abused and coer durmg cold nights and wrapped in during nap time and even put on the floor at school during gym.

Blog Entries
    I agree with you most of us would not give away something that we do not like ourselves. I just don't dig the notion that it must all be top of the line fabric.
    Oh and by the way my granddaughter 's name is Maggie

I use what's in my stash for the most part. It may not be all quilt store fabric but if it's not, it is still good quality cotton and not the see-through stuff.

I use what I have. I, too, purchase fabric from JoAnn's that is on sale especially for charity kids' quilts or any other I'm working on.

Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    I try to use something in my stash...some is better quality than others, but it is all quality that I would use for a personal quilt too.
    Same here...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast