Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilt help please! >

Charity Quilt help please!

Charity Quilt help please!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM

I think if you read a lot of the posts here, you'll see that many, many of us have made charity quilts only to have them bring a pittance of their value. Once in a while, a quilt brings a decent amount of money, but usually the cause is better off if you just donate what it would cost you to make it. Even a baby quilt has probably almost $100 in supplies. I would not do another charity quilt for a raffle or silent auctions. If I want to support the cause, I'd give money. I do do quilts and pillowcases that will actually be given to people - usually kids. Just sayin'!
Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Wow, you should be proud that your two quilts raised that much money, as they don't always.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM

Wow..... so many responses and so much to think about! Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. It is kind of disheartening to hear that quilts don't always bring much money, considering all that goes into them in the way of fabric expense and time. I guess I have alot to think about here... and many you tube videos to look up, too!! Thank you to those of you that posted photos of your beautiful work, too! I don't always recognize the names of patterns and there is nothing quite like a photo! Thank you all.... I'll keep you posted on what I decide!
Old 07-28-2013, 06:43 PM

I love AZJane's 10min. block quilt. Here's another idea for a stash quilt: http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quic...quilt-fabrics/ It might not be very quick, though. Or how about this one, which I think is beautiful and pretty quick to make. It could be made with all sorts of different fabric choices, one main print and other colors chosen from it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...m-t216063.html You could use the same basic principle with other pieced borders, but the flying geese would be simple to do on a paper foundation. It could be made small as a wall hanging or table topper or quit a bit bigger with more geese.

It's kind of you to want to help out. Good luck with your project.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 AM

Yes, unfortunately people will not spend money on a quilt. I would just donate the money you figure it would take to make a quilt and save myself all the hard work and disappointment. Quilts do better in a raffle than in an auction.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:19 AM

I like the Irish Chain quilt - can be done with strips and super easy that way -and it only takes two colors - if you use red/white - looks really nice - really any color that is high contrast will look great - if you want more fabrics then you could do a double or even triple Irish Chain - the pattern is free - you can find it all over the internet and its really easy - plus the quilting can be easy straight lines.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I love AZJane's 10min. block quilt. Here's another idea for a stash quilt: http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quic...quilt-fabrics/ It might not be very quick, though. Or how about this one, which I think is beautiful and pretty quick to make. It could be made with all sorts of different fabric choices, one main print and other colors chosen from it: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...m-t216063.html You could use the same basic principle with other pieced borders, but the flying geese would be simple to do on a paper foundation. It could be made small as a wall hanging or table topper or quit a bit bigger with more geese.

It's kind of you to want to help out. Good luck with your project.
I seriously LOVE this quilt!! thank you for posting it! I am going to share this with my quilting friend and it will be one of our winter projects! Thank you!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 AM

After reading your comments I did decide to scrap the idea of the charity quilt! sometimes my intentions are a little bit too ambitious! This is what I did instead.... I made 5 of these "Road Trip" pillowcases that I had seen on Pinterest. I filled the big pocket with coloring books (wow...have you seen the price of coloring books lately? Thank heavens for the Dollar Store!!), puzzle books, crayons, markers, a drawing pad and one travel game. The girl that ran the event told me that they were very popular items and that people kept asking her where they came from. The event raised tons of money for the family, far exceeding their expectations!

Right now Feline Fanatic has a t shirt quilt top that I made on her Long arm. I made it from all the t shirts that my daughter's friend gave me that belonged to her dad. She is so excited waiting to get her quilt. I know it will be a comfort to her for many years.
Attached Thumbnails pillowcases2web.jpg   pillowcase3web.jpg