Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilt Patterns >

Charity Quilt Patterns

Charity Quilt Patterns

Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
thats a lot of charity quilts...fabric must cost you a bit....what size is average
Where I give them, they accept any size. 36x36 to 42 x 54, a few larger, but churches usually make the larger ones. Yes, it does cost quite a bit, but have a nearby quilt store that has a rather large Half price area. I love to quilt and family only wants so many. I have a Tin Lizzie, so I Quilt them myself.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 PM

I like to use the Double Slice Layer Cake from Missouri Star. There is a video. It makes a great quilt and is quick to put together. I make my own layer cakes, usually using 8 or ten fabrics.

Dina
Old 02-22-2017, 08:32 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I don't understand why more people don't use the rail fence pattern, Once the strips are sewn, the blocks are all done! So quick to my mind. The fabric choices are what really make a quilt like this. Here's a graphic I drew for one.

Cut the strips at 3.5" x WOF (42"), sew in pairs, press, then subcut at approx. 6.5" square. Done!

And another I recently did as a community quilt that you can probably figure out easily just by looking at it. I use snowballed corners on the blocks.
Attached Thumbnails double-rail-fence.jpg   masculine.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 02-22-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 PM

I'm also starting on donation quilts, along with double sided receiving blankets (bought a bunch of flannel for these recently). Would love to have 50 done by the end of the year, but have a couple other projects, so not sure that will happen.

I want to try to blow up a block from the quilt shown in this thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...z-t286195.html I think it could go pretty quickly, especially if I do the HSTs using a quick method. And, if I make several at once, I could do the 9 patch using a quick method as well.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
I think the pattern Peckish is talking about is Sonyas windows. Here are the instructions, and I agree it is a great, fast, easy pattern.
http://www.quiltsfromtheheart.org/pa...trip-block.pdf
I just printed out this pattern, thanks for providing it. [like I Neeeed another one, lol] But I have been cutting scraps and yardage into strips, so maybe, I will get busy.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:24 PM

Wow Jan, I never thought of just using "2" rails.............thanks for sharing. [where's the face with the palm of my hand hitting my head?????]

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I don't understand why more people don't use the rail fence pattern, Once the strips are sewn, the blocks are all done! So quick to my mind. The fabric choices are what really make a quilt like this. Here's a graphic I drew for one.

Cut the strips at 3.5" x WOF (42"), sew in pairs, press, then subcut at approx. 6.5" square. Done!

And another I recently did as a community quilt that you can probably figure out easily just by looking at it. I use snowballed corners on the blocks.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:04 AM

Yellow Brick Road pattern is quick & easy.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:15 AM

Jan, thank you for the visuals... I can see where the rail fence would be an easy quilt to assemble and a great charity project. I've added it to my library along with Sonja's windows which looks like a great scrappy project.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:41 AM

Falling Charms from MSQC is fast. One charm pack, 13 2 1/2 inch strips and about 2 hours and your done.