Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilts and Stitch in the Ditch >

Charity Quilts and Stitch in the Ditch

Charity Quilts and Stitch in the Ditch

Old 04-24-2016, 08:34 AM

Default Charity Quilts and Stitch in the Ditch

I volunteer to quilt little quilts for kids for a local group and I really enjoy it. I have a Sitdown Sweet 16. I much prefer to "custom" quilt the quilts where the piecing and fabric warrants it, I.e. Nice borders and sashing, quiet fabrics in the piecing that the quilting would add interest to. Also I am more comfortable quilting motifs in an area than an all over design for the whole quilt. My problem is the added time it takes to ditch every seam, which I would do if it were my own quilt. Would it be really bad to not ditch the seams on these little quilts and quilt it in a custom style? Should I do some minimal ditching at the very least, or does some ditched and some not, look worse than none at all. I always try to keep a light density to the quilting on these to maintain softness for the kiddies, but enjoy trying to add some fun motifs for them to look at. Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 AM

I think it's fine not to SID the quilts. Think of all the millions of quilts that were done with an edge-to-edge design. None of those have SID. I agree, that the absolute best option is always to SID everything but I really think that making 2 quilts without SID during the time it would take you to make 1 perfectly would be more appreciated by the charity. I do SID the borders just to try to keep my quilt square/square-ish, but that's the extent of it. If I weren't doing a different motif in the border(s), I might even skip that step -- not sure. I have no doubt what you do will be beautiful & cherished for many years to come by whomever receives it.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I usually SITD sashing to keep it straight or to anchor the blocks in a quilt before FMQing so the layers don't shift. If you are doing an all over design, there really isn't any need for SITD also. If the quilts are not in a blocks then custom quilt the way it works best for you.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:18 AM

Guess what? The kids won't know or care how you stitched their quilt. They will just be glad to be warm. It's your time, your machine so quilt it your way. As long as the layers are together and the quilt finished, no one should have any reason to question how it was quilted.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:25 AM

Instead of straight twitching in the ditch,I like to do my machine's serpentine stitch.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I make mostly charity quilt tops and the guy (husband of our church's group leader) never stitches in the ditch on a LA. I would quilt what looks best for the quilt. It is nice of you to volunteer your time. I always let the quilt tell me how to quilt it.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I think your best bet is to try it and see. SITDing secures the layers so as you add your motifs they won't shift. The denser the designs, the more you manipulate the sandwich and the more opportunity there is for shifting. I think with lighter designs you should be OK. Also the higher loft the batting, the more possibilities for the layers to move. A low loft batt and loose design should be OK.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Kids only go by color and character on the fabric. The quilting is not really noticed unless very contrasting.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Ditching is unnecessary. I refuse to do SITD nowadays because I find it too aggravating, and my quilts have not suffered. I say, go for it!
Old 04-24-2016, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I actually don't mind at all when (as Cindy Needham calls it) every stinkin' seam isn't ditched. Yes, it makes the blocks look a little more fluffy and less defined, but in my eyes that's OK. As already stated, the kids won't care. They also won't care if the quilting isn't "perfect" which is why community service quilts are such great apprentice projects. Do what you enjoy doing. The kids will enjoy it as well and thanks for sharing your time, talent, and fabric with the community.

Afterthought: If you do the custom quilting first and then decide you don't like the way it looks you can always ditch afterwards.

Last edited by MadQuilter; 04-24-2016 at 12:00 PM.