Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Quilts >

Charity Quilts

Charity Quilts

Old 08-17-2011, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by LyraJean
I think quality of workmanship is the important thing in a quilt.
I think that depends to a slight degree on the intended use of the quilt, but I'd basically agree with that. Art quilts only really need to sit there and look pretty. For other quilts, sturdiness becomes more of an issue, one that increases in priority as you move from, say, an adult bedspread to a child's quilt to a quilt which will need to hold up to hospital washing machines.

One of the reasons why I am only making charity quilts to be used for fundraising is that I hand-sew everything. Hand-sewing is strong enough for most uses, but charities which provide quilts for hospitals quite rightly insist on machine sewing. It also means that it takes me substantially longer to make any quilt. Add that to the sky-high materials prices in the UK, and I can't just put together a nice cheap baby quilt in a day like I so often see people doing here. I wish I could, I think there's a big place for that sort of quilt just as there is for the fussier, competition-winning, every-stitch-must-look-perfect-or-the-judges-will-hate me type of quilt.

It's one of the reasons why I love quilting: it's so flexible, it embraces all levels of skill and many different uses for the quilts, and all of these quilts are good and are beautiful. The quilt I have received the most thanks for is a very quick tied quilt I made with two pieces of gaily patterned flannel, where the most work I did was to embroider the baby's name on one side (and even then, I probably spent more time choosing pretty threads and a nice font than I did on the hand embroidery). I get thanked for it almost every time I speak to the family (it went to my best friend's kid sister's baby), and apparently it's used every day. Making that quilt, and the feedback I get from it, really made me rethink my approach to how fussy I am about making slow, elaborate quilts. I still love making those, but I was perhaps sinking a little into the mad perfectionism that is so common with quilters, and it was really liberating to realise that *any* quilt will usually be wonderful, especially if it's made with affection and a good eye for colour. Making something "quick and dirty" can be liberating to the point of being surprisingly useful artistically.

And to cheer everyone up, or because any excuse will do, here is the baby in question enjoying his new quiltlet! Beat that for total and utter cuteness.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242921.jpe  
Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 AM

Not to argue Lobster, but knowing what the quilt will be used for means knowing what you need to do whether it is to hand sew or machine stitch goes into quality workmanship. It has to fit the use.

I guess my whole opinion was the charity quilt is not dependent on the pattern that is used but rather how it is put together.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:14 PM

Can't agree more. I quilt for foster children and I love each of the quilts that I give away! These quilts often turn out to be their most precious possession, so I want them to really like it, also.

LindaKayCat
Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM

That is a beautiful explanation :)
Old 09-17-2011, 03:43 PM

That is a beautiful explanation :)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 AM

One of the ladies first one was sad and the second worse so I finally pulled her aside. She said 'they're just for charity". My DD overheard as I said to her - I don't think a homeless person, victim, or whoever deserves anything less than I would give my own daughter. She didn't agree nor did my daughter. After talking to someone that had received a quilt that was donated my DD now realizes that because you are less fortunate does not mean you deserve less. She felt like it was better than nothing. I don't want my quilt to scream "I'm better than nothing". I want it to say "God was thinking about you and sent this as a reminder". Give with a glad heart.[/quote]

I totally agree!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 AM

When I make charity quilts, I always think of who I would want this quilt to go to. I do my very best, use my good quality material and make a cute design. I once stayed at a campground in Texas that made about 10 quilts a week. They were strip pieced and had no designs at all. It was something my dog would sleep on. I know that others will disagree with me about this, but I think it's just as easy to make a cute quilt as an ugly quilt.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Easier...because it's more fun to work on it. :D
Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
When I make charity quilts, I always think of who I would want this quilt to go to. I do my very best, use my good quality material and make a cute design. I once stayed at a campground in Texas that made about 10 quilts a week. They were strip pieced and had no designs at all. It was something my dog would sleep on. I know that others will disagree with me about this, but I think it's just as easy to make a cute quilt as an ugly quilt.
My Poodle gets quilts made especially for her, and they are not ugly!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM

I do charity quilts and feel the same way. The charity I donate to doesn't allow maker names on the quilts but if hidden initals are allowed.