Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charm Packs & 10" Stacks? >

Charm Packs & 10" Stacks?

Charm Packs & 10" Stacks?

Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 AM

Pre-cuts are great if you have a project in mind, but I don't think it's a very good way to build a stash. Actually, I started building a stash by accident. It seems that you always have fabric left over when you make a quilt. Even with a stash of fabric, you find that you are missing that one fabric that makes your quilt pop. I find that the fabric I buy "just because" becomes the fabric that makes me say "what was I thinking" later on down the road.
Sue
Old 08-24-2011, 05:41 AM

The problem with precuts is if you wash them some shrink uneven.
I do not wash them now.
Also only buy them on sale cheap.
They are fun to sew with and you get the whole fabric line to play with.
Connecting threads is great not only because of cost but you can choose which fabrics to buy by the yard once you have seen them and know the colors you want are true.
I also buy charm packs by 3s if I really like the fabrics.
One pack dosnt go very far.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I buy the yardage as well, If on sale you get more bang for your buck.. Whereas charms are pretty they may not be 'square'.

Or......
you can join my swap. lol.. . I host 10.5 layer cake swap every month- you send in one yard cut into TWELVE 10.5 sqs and you will in return get 12 DIFFERENT fabrics.. and it only cost you a yard of fabric (plus shipping)
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 AM

I have charm packs and use them for mostly like table toppers or runners. Unless I can get multiples of the same charm pack, and then I can do HSTs and do a quilt. Still need something for the borders.

I don't buy many precuts because overall they are much more expensive.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Thank you everyone. I was thinking about the charm packs because as others have noted they are cheap at connecting threads. I can buy several and make some throw quilts just to pratice on this winter. Since I just started I really don't know my style. I don't think it will be scrappy quilts because I find myself drawn more to patterns with a purpose. :) I just thought the charms might be the cheaper way to go for now as I learn. However, you guys have given me a lot to think about and maybe I just need to hit some sale racks locally and buy by the yard instead. Thank you everyone.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:39 PM

You might still want to get the charm packs at Connecting Threads and follow your original plan. It sounds like a very good way to practice and get your feet wet.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:43 AM

If you find yourself drawn to overall patterns for a quilt I'd definitely go for yardage and not pre-cuts.