Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Charm party tote and Pellon question

Charm party tote and Pellon question

I was so excited to start sewing together my tote. I waited FOREVER for the Pellon that I ordered online from Joann's.
    The piece of Pellon is 22x36".

For the tote, I need :
    2) 18 1/2 x 13 1/2
    1) 5" x wof
    1) 4 1/2 x 7
    2) 9 x 9

I don't have enough Pellon, do I? If I do, can you instruct me how to cut all those pieces out of one 22x36" piece.
    Thank you

rut roh. I actually need 4) 18.5x13.5
    I definately don't have enough.

Something's not getting pellon

No, you do not have enough Pellon
    The addition for your measurements is:
    18.5+5+4.5+9 = 37 inches
    Then,
    13.5+7+9 = 29.5
    The 5"XWOF is the ?? factor for me.
    I have Fusible#805 Pellon that is 17" wide. And, I have the Pellon Decor Bond that is 44" wide.
    So it depends on what type of Pellon that you need for your tote.

Sorry to be the bearor of bad news, but you do need more Pellon to finish your tote.

Good Luck,
    Susan
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

Maybe the lining doesnt need Pellon. And I'm not going to put inside pockets in it anyway... I think I might try it like that - w/o the pellon on the lining...
    yay or nay

You can try it, but just be aware that you may have to "unsew"it to make it right...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

drats! I'm an hour from Joanns.

You could try using batting. Take a small piece of batting and a small piece of the fusible fleece and make a little sample and compare the two to avoid the drive.

mltquilt

Do you have a wal mart close that has a craft dept? maybe you could use some type of stablizer from there.

I'm guessing the 18.5x13.5 is the side/body of the tote. 5" piece the handle? Other pieces pockets? Would you need to use 4 of the large pieces for the sides or just one piece for each side sandwiched between lining and outside? Having pellon in the handle would be good though not vital as webbing or other interfacing could be inside. You might luck out with this yet.

Not knowing what pieces are what, I can tell you that you will not be using Pellon on the lining pieces. Also, you will not be using Pellon on any pockets. IF you have pellon in the straps, I would suggest one strip of a heavy stabilizer with a thin batt or even flannel inside the straps. So, if you think creatively, you just might be able to do it.
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

I have only used the correct pellon once. That was in the first one and it was a kig. Yes, I know it is stiffer, but after you use it awhile it all looks the same. On all the rest of them (and I have made 6 or 8) I made my own or used the cheaper stuff. To make my own I fused double sided fusible (the really cheap stuff I had on had for a billion years) to some left over batting (I generally use cotton or cotton/poly) and yes I used pieces.... Worked just as well. The only thing with these is that I found you need a really, really solid bottom, it doesn't need to fit corner to corner either. I have used 'Bagie Bottoms' (I think I spelled it wrong) which are plexi-glass rounded. The cardboard things never held up well for me.

Good luck on your adventure. These are nice after they are done, but a little of a struggle to get lining and outside together just right. Take your time and you will be successful!

Most of my totes that I want the sides pretty stiff I use fusible fleece on the exterior fabric and Decor Bond interfacing on the lining.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I used fusible Pellon for my bags, except they didn't fuse. I don't think that I will bother buying the fusible stuff again. Just use plain and quilt it. Worked for me.
    Sue