Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charms >

charms

charms

Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 AM

I got 4 packs of charms thought it would work they are yellow and blue put together in a four patch thought i would try the quilt as you go but had pieces sewed and did not like how they look am now taking apart to see if can use some other way they are five inch squares I have been doing a lot of research on quilting at different sites one said if you do small squares say about 2 inches that you can put any thing in and it will look good has any one tried the postage stamp or just something scrappy with one patch squares I am going to keep these and add to whatever mix i can come up with the yellow does not seem to work well I made a mistake in ordering i guess thought i would have all different but when i order the packs got 4 of same and it did not work am hoping i can mix and match with other things thinking of a scrappy one does any one have site for that where you can do quilt as you go using what ever pattern that you have for the block
Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 AM
MTS
Banned

. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 07-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

a charm pack is generally a 5" square of each fabric in a collection- so if you order 4 of the same charm packs you will receive 4 sets of the collection---if you want 4 charm packs all different you need to order 4 different charm collections....sorry you wound up with 4 the same- but it should be a good thing- give you plenty to work with.
making a scrappy one patch quilt can be done many different ways- if you wanted to make it larger than what your charms will make you could choose a good white on white- or even just bleached muslin and use white in each block (or any other color) as the *force* that binds it all together
like cutting a a5" square out of white to go with each of your charms- you could put them together- stitch on each side of the diagonal line- cut apart= press toward the charm square- and put together a scrappy pinwheel= or any other lay out= 1/2 square triangle blocks can be used for many many designs.
adding any (fabric to tie it all together) will make your scrappy work :)
Old 07-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

You can also check the Pat Speth books on Nickel Quilts from Amazon or your library. These are quilt patterns that are all made from 5" charm squares.
I also agree with ckcowl's suggestion of a pinwheel. Get yardage that will coordinate with everything (or or solid white, cream, black etc.) and make pinwheels using the charm square and coorinating fabric.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM

You may decide to not use ALL the charms and choose a knock-out color to make the yellow and blue pop. I agree about the book NICKEL QUILTS - lots of ideas that you wouldn't expect were possible with charms.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Right on! I really did lol when I saw this!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Originally Posted by MTS

+1
Old 07-05-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Originally Posted by MTS
+2
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

??????
Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 AM

maybe use triangles....to give it that ooomph instead of squares will make it more appealing? Or pull up "simple quilt" website for more ideas?