Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Check Your Seam Width Between Machines >

Check Your Seam Width Between Machines

Check Your Seam Width Between Machines

Old 01-24-2020, 03:43 AM

It may not be fun, but getting your consistent seam allowance and knowing where it is, is one of the biggest keys to successful quilting.

Funny, Jmoore, my Bernina decided to act up just after I started the Frolic mystery so I've been using my cheapo Brother. I tend to sew scant on the Bernina and apparently I'm sewing fat on the Brother, even chanting "scant seams scant seams" as I go and the seams are right where they should be when I'm expecting to trim. But, in the Brother's defense I use my quilter's foot which is made to give the 1/4" seam from both the left and right side, and it is very accurate on both sides. I'm sort of waiting to get done with the project to take the Bernina in, but the smart thing to do would be to take it in while I'm still busy.

I'm always amazed at people who can switch machines, using one in class and one at home. It's one of my strong sewing superstitions to do all the work on one project on machine.

It can make a difference in your seam allowance, btw, on what threads you are using. For my scrappy quilts with various fabrics and such I don't worry too much and am deliberately using up stable miscellaneous colors of threads from my collection. But back when I was more about precision, that included using the same thread throughout. Back then and on my vintage machines I just used Dual Duty. With my modern machine and modern options I'm happy with Aurifil.

The other thing is your needle. I change my needles a lot, along with rotary blades they are a cheap and easy way to improve your sewing projects and most people just don't do it often enough. I prefer to piece with a 10, I will use a 12.

It probably doesn't matter in reality (my seam is a bigger variable) but I also prefer to use one brand of ruler for a project. I find I cut differently depending on the lines/rulers and there is a slight but noticeable difference if I trim using different squares.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:13 AM

That's why I have lots of sticky notes stuck around the sewing room
Old 01-24-2020, 04:50 AM

I have magnetic postcards stuck to the base of my antique machines at the quarter inch mark, and check them periodically for movement. I have 2 different antique Singers based in different rooms so I can sew while watching TV or sew while the longarm is quilting. Then I have my Aria in the basement and my Juki industrial straight stitch machine, which I use mostly for putting on borders or any long seams that are nice to sew fast. I check frequently to make sure my seams are accurate. If I am working on precision blocks I will use just one machine, but most of my quilts are charity quilts not requiring such precision.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:11 AM

My Janome Jem has this problem. Since it is a machine that I don't use regularly, it has a permanent sticker reminding me of the setting I need for that elusive perfect 1/4 inch seam.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:26 AM

I discovered this a long time ago the hard way. It is a hard lesson to learn when making a large number of blocks at one time.
Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:15 PM
mkc

Very glad you posted! I would also add checking with each new project, especially if you are using a foot that has a metal guide piece on it.

My preference is usually for my Janome's optional 1/8-1/4 clear foot with guide, vs. the O2 solid metal foot with guide. Something didn't look quite right the last time I put the clear foot on the machine and when I checked my seam width, it was more than a scant over 1/4" (it had always been a perfect scant less). Looking more closely, it seems either the plastic ridge that holds the guide is wearing OR the guide has weakened and bent open a little, because it's no longer perfectly upright and flush against the side of the foot. Time to replace it!

Michelle
Old 01-25-2020, 06:31 AM

Keep an index card near the machine. Perfect 1/4 inch measurement. I learned this from our instructor at the LQS on my first quilting class. You can cut them in half and store in the machine box on the bed. Always ready to go.

Here is a how-to if needed.

https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005...rter-inch.html
Old 01-25-2020, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I'm doing the BH mystery and was dying to bring my FW downstairs but didn't for the very reason you mentioned.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Funny, Jmoore, my Bernina decided to act up just after I started the Frolic mystery so I've been using my cheapo Brother. I tend to sew scant on the Bernina and apparently I'm sewing fat on the Brother, even chanting "scant seams scant seams" as I go and the seams are right where they should be when I'm expecting to trim. But, in the Brother's defense I use my quilter's foot which is made to give the 1/4" seam from both the left and right side, and it is very accurate on both sides. I'm sort of waiting to get done with the project to take the Bernina in, but the smart thing to do would be to take it in while I'm still busy.

I'm always amazed at people who can switch machines, using one in class and one at home. It's one of my strong sewing superstitions to do all the work on one project on machine.
I share the same superstition, especially when I’m working on an intermediate pattern or one that is a bit of a challenge to piece.