Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Chenille bedspreads

Blog Entries
    Curious to know if anyone else loves vintage chenille bedspreads as much as I do. Cotton ones, soft, takes you back to your childhood. anyone??

Blog Entries
    yes, love them

Blog Entries
    I don't have any but I love them. I never had one in the day.....couldn't afford one. All I had was crummy old hand made QUILTS!!!!!LOL:) Poor me....not. I still would rather sleep under a quilt than a blanket. :thumbup:

I have a salmon colored old chenille bedspread that was my grandmother's. It takes up space but I know that I probably won't do anything with it. What to do, what to do??

Blog Entries
    I had a couple of these growing up, I loved them too :D:D:D

Umm. Not really. They are beautiful for those that know how to treat them. But, they are not for me. I'm sorry, but they remind me of my elderly grandmother who used to poop in her bedding and I got to wash it.

I really like the look of them now. When I was a kid I would sleep under one when at the grandparent house in Bellingham, but I didn't appreciate them then.
    I actually saw a pattern in a magazine once that showed how to make a Chenille quilt, it quite facinated me on how it was made. Now I don't remember where I saw it, I wish I did.

Blog Entries
    I have several, just something about them. Wish I had one with a cowboy or something cool like that. I do have a couple with peacocks and maybe a basket with flowers. Some in real need of repair. I should have a lot of beds ! so crazy !!!

Blog Entries
    Not a pleasant memory, I imagine. Old people were quite scary to me as a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Umm. Not really. They are beautiful for those that know how to treat them. But, they are not for me. I'm sorry, but they remind me of my elderly grandmother who used to poop in her bedding and I got to wash it.
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by pjaco
    Curious to know if anyone else loves vintage chenille bedspreads as much as I do. Cotton ones, soft, takes you back to your childhood. anyone??
    Oh my gosh YES...My grandmother had them on her beds and we loved laying on them when we would visit.

Blog Entries
    I'm still wearing an old chenille house coat that my mother had for many years..and I'm 77 now. No telling how old it is, but it is one warm garment!! It has wide sleeves, waistline with a built in belt, long to the floor and flowing. No skimping on fabric with that one. Sure wish I had another couple of them in other colors, this one is a faded pink. Might dye it soon because I'm not getting rid of it soon, also one daughter has her eye on it!!.

Blog Entries
    Can't have them on the beds - they are dust catchers, but I love the look. I have a white one from a sale of some sort that I want to repurpose - a robe, maybe. I have too many jackets.

Blog Entries
    Oh ya - they vie for space at camp with quilts!!! I have 3 that were my grandmother's and love them all.

Blog Entries
    I really like them, but I don't own one. I have a baby picture of me on one with a huge peacock design.

Oh yep!!!!! In fact, I just found a technique to make a chenille spread.

I have many...including the ones that were for cribs...I repurpose them into quilts that I sell at the craft shows.
    Just love them
    I don't cut the perfect ones, I just can't do it...I only use the ones that need some love..

oh I do :) I have a whole closet full of them and I make baby bibs and sometimes patchwork quilts from them. The are so soft

Quote Originally Posted by pjaco

Love them. I look for the at the thrift shops.

Blog Entries
    I have one on my guest bed now. It's the double peacock, great shape. I have a blue and white one made into a jacket. Now that's neat. When grandson goes home, and I put the spread back on the bed, I will take a pic and post it. I love them...Didn't know they were dust catchers....Huuummmm.

Yes I love them!!

Yeah, I do but the ones today are so thin & the good qualtity ones are toooo expensive. I found 1 at a thrift store for $6, was so excited, wanted it for my queen bed. It was white, bought $12 worth of blue dye & turned out so pretty but after dying & drying discovered it was only twin..!!! It turned out soo pretty but am using it on a twin I have.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    lol,you are tooo funny

I love them, and have many. I started collecting them for our guest bedroom that has two twin beds. Finding a matchint pair was always fun! Now I have several totes with nice spreads in them. I am waiting to finish off one guest bedroom, and will use them in there...along with quilts!

Blog Entries
    sak658, I had two daughters with severe allergies and a son with dust allergies. The girls' allergist said definitely no chenille bedspreads. The fluffy parts do catch and hold dust.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I love them. Found a beautiful cream one at a yard sale, ask how much, lady said "How about 2 bucks, I about fainted and grabbed it up,lol.Have bought a few that were damaged, going to repurpose them, but I can't bear to cut them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast