Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing a new machine >

Choosing a new machine

Choosing a new machine

Old 02-07-2019, 01:49 PM

Default Choosing a new machine

I've been looking here and there at sewing machines and I really would like to buy a new one some time soon. It will mainly be used for piecing quilt tops, and possibly quilting. (I haven't been doing much sewing other than working on quilts lol!) I don't need too much stitch variety, but more than 10 would be an upgrade.

So far I like the EverSewn Sparrow and Charlotte, a few different Janome models, and various others. I want this to be a purchase that lasts a long time, and that I don't regret. I'm still pretty new to the world of sewing machines. (I only recently learned how much more than just Singer and Brother there is!!) I'm not really sure what features would be useful.. What are some things I should be looking for?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Personally, I think buy as much throat space as you can afford. Besides that I find the needle down option an essential option. Thread cutter also nice.
I also like the ability to adjust the pressure foot pressure manually, which is helpful for thicker fabrics or layers (because I sew alot of bags etc).
Old 02-07-2019, 04:18 PM

Yes, needle down option, once you have it, hard to do without. And agree with as much throat space you can afford, a larger throat space is a luxury you will love, realize it is a necessity. Thread cutter is helpful too.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:36 PM

I adore my brother dreamweaver. It is amazing
Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 AM

A built in walking foot is awesome for piecing. I won't do without it. A knee lift for the presser foot is a time saver because you don't have to constantly let go of your fabric to lift or put down the presser foot, and especially helpful when doing machine applique.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

I won't buy a new machine without the auto thread cutter. It saves enough thread to make a difference and no thread tails to cut. The thread cutter broke on my Brother 1500 after 20 years and it was a very inexpensive part to replace.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:29 AM

Thread cutter, Up Down, Auto foot lift or knee lift, wide throat space, walking foot..build in...or attached. The smaller "built in" they are really not build in, they attach but much much smaller than the chunky white foot that you can't see around, Auto tension (most machines have that now). These are the key features that I like. You may like other features like lots of decorative stitches. I have enjoyed the Janome machines with the 9mm rather than 7mm.
But for quilting, you don't use this feature much.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:41 AM

Given that I am getting older and my sight isn't what it used to be, the auto needle threaders are awesome!!! And extra throat space is what I wanted more than anything when I bought my used machine recently. I couldn't afford a new machine with a lot of throat space, but I did splurge on a used Bernina and am so happy I did. That might be a good compromise for you, find a good used machine with more bells and whistles than you might be able to swing if you bought new.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:31 AM

as others have said the wider throat space, thread cutter, needle down and needle threader. I love my knee lift as well. I have 2 Janomes that I love - the magnolia 7330 for taking places and Memory Craft 6600.