Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas is coming and I need fresh ideas! >

Christmas is coming and I need fresh ideas!

Christmas is coming and I need fresh ideas!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 AM

I'm right there with several of you...however, in my circle of friends there are a few that I love to 'give a little something' to. These were the people on my Kdg team at school...my two very close sis-in-laws (our extended families do not exchange gifts)...and a couple quilting buddies. I think I've come up with an idea for this year...at the LQS I go to, we have the monthly Anita Goodesign embroidery classes. The project this month is a tote bag that rolls up and is closed by a button on the front pocket. Just perfect for sticking in your purse or keeping in a pocket of your car. If you are like me, I'm always finding I need an extra bag for one reason, or another. I think these will make adorable and very welcome little gifts. I intend to get busy and make a few to give my retired friends next month...we get together every summer at the lake to play cards and reminisce. You do need some embroidery capability as part of this is an 'in the hoop' project, tho.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Tale a look at these:
http://www.sewmamasew.com/2014/05/quilted-fabric-tray/
Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM

I like doing little handmade gifts for close coworkers too. Not every year, but just sometimes. We have year-round, monthly, and seasonal charity drives at work so that's very (VERY) well covered; I like doing something a little more personal when I have the time. Usually I just get each person some small token gift; usually a desk/fidgit toy of some sort - a little tub of Silly Putty, a Slinky, a little wind-up toy, one of those bent-nail logic puzzles... (I work in IT, us geeks love little fidgety desk toys)

I like the roll-up tote bag idea though - my county has recently passed a new resolution (or whatever they call it) and soon stores will no longer be able to give out plastic bags, and I think they'll also start charging for paper bags. (With some exceptions for food service, I believe.) There are 16 people in my department, I think I can make enough of them in time...I just recently was shown how to make those bags so I'm all set!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned fabric boxes. In the "Project of the Month" on this board we made some. I think it was in January. Everyone needs a box to store little or big things. I went on to make a huge "basket" of quilted fabric for my living room to store my numerous knitting and crochet projects. I like to work on more than one thing at a time and it was a pretty place to store them.

You can make the boxes flat for a man to store his wallet and ring, or taller for anyone to store anything. I made a little one inside out so I could stick knitting needles and tweezers, etc. in the outside flaps.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:51 PM

I forgot to mention, one person made sort of gift boxes of hers and put Valentine's candy inside.

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I don't think anyone has mentioned fabric boxes. In the "Project of the Month" on this board we made some. I think it was in January. Everyone needs a box to store little or big things. I went on to make a huge "basket" of quilted fabric for my living room to store my numerous knitting and crochet projects. I like to work on more than one thing at a time and it was a pretty place to store them.

You can make the boxes flat for a man to store his wallet and ring, or taller for anyone to store anything. I made a little one inside out so I could stick knitting needles and tweezers, etc. in the outside flaps.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
I have wanted to make a kitchen valance with these for a very long time. Thanks for the reminder. They are so sweet.
peace
Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 PM

This is not sewing related, but what I did once was get Christmas coffee mugs, check yd sales and thrift stores. Get the small candy bags that fit in the mugs, filled with peppermint candy. Place the bags in the mugs and put decorate.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
One year I received a tree planted in my name, another year a lamb.
A lamb? A live one?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 PM

Great Idea Pam B, do you have a pattern for the roll up tote bag?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 PM

How about the square bag with handles on each side . It can be carried with either short or long handles or used to store items in. Just make 5 squares the same size and the two sets of handles short set hold in hand length and two long for over the shoulder.

Join 5 outside squares place handles on the top . Make a lining same size as outside leave a 6 inch gap in a bottom seam sew around top ensuring you take in handles safely

Think it is a based on a moda pattern.