Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Gift Ideas

Cell phone (etc) covers/bags

Eyeglass cases, placemats, hot pads

I recently made eye glass cases, notebooks and curling iron travel cases. There are all sorts of small things you can quilt.

great ideas - I am just trying to clean up my sewing area to be able to get to the machine

Check out books by Nancy Halverson. They are great.
    they feature many small items.......ornaments-tea towels
    cup cosies-tote bags and much more. I make a lot of
    these things for gifts and church auctions. They are
    always well recieved.
    Brenda from Wadesville In.

Blog Entries
    I just finished 6 foam trees that are covered with Xmas yo-yos. Pinned on with either pearl tipped, or smaller colored pins with a fancy sequin in the middles. What ever you want to put on top.

Purse organizers are popular around here right now. Jan

Pocket hand warmers--little pouches with rice that you warm in the microwave and then put in your pockets to keep your hands warm. Also, I found a neck scarf with pockets made with fleece. I'm going to make a couple of those, and I'm making an iPhone pouch for my DIL.

Ive made some scarves and slippers, sofar, and started a few pillowcases.

Quilted laptop covers, paperback book covers, grocery totes, casserole covers/cosys....the list goes on

Blog Entries
    there has been some posting of potato bags going on fire. Please be careful!

I am trying to watch my spending so I am making sets of table runners (seasonal) for all my Grandaughters & Grandaughters in law. Best part. if I don't get ALL the seasons , they still get a nice gift with however many are done. I think I may do some kids prints for the younger mothers with babies and toddlers. And almost all of it from my Stash. I also have to make a couple of flannel Granny gowns (this is a yearly request for the last 20 years.)
    Cathy

RST
    Blog Entries
    Kindle cases, hotpads, glasses cases, coin purse, tree ornaments and garlands.

RST

pillowcases, placemats, kindle/Nook cases, journal covers

Table runners are a great hit for me.

I made small quilts 50 by 60 and matching baby doll quilts for my gr daus. and they loved them

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wine bottle holders, applique on hand towels, saw directions for fabric postcards that were beautiful and not too difficult, utensil cosies, Christmas or everyday (I see them everywhere this year), small quilt block Christmas ornaments (always put the year on it) you could make a series. Good luck and have fun stitching!

I would love to see the luggage tag pics. Also where can I get the pattern for the Kindle??

I've machine embrodered light houses and covered bridges so far with magnets on the back to put on the refrigator. Kids like this for some reason.

Like others, I too am waiting to see the picture of the suitcase tags, Meanwhile on recent trip to Calif four of us traveling used 3 inch wide red and white gingham ribbon on our suitcases of which three were black. You couldn't help but see them. We even went so far as to put more than one ribbon on each one.

Have any directions for the bag tags?

Coasters, candle mats, reversible placemats ( one side Christmas and other side Thanksgiving) or any other season/holiday , aprons, tablerunners, lap quilts.

I LOVE_LOVE_LOVE the four-sided placemats. Imagine two 2-sided placemats that are connected at the center - without a north-south center seam! If you lay the placemat flat, then fold back the right "page" like a book, the second placemat appears, which you fully open to that "page" for a completely different placemat. Then fold back that "page" as you did before for the third placemat to appear, and so on. Pictures of this just aren't able to do this any real justice, but I've provided some weblinks below.

One woman in my class did a four-sided placemat for each of her grandkids with fabrics that were all about them. A vegetarian attendee did several sets of four with fruits and veggie fabrics to auction off to raise funds for a charity cause, another made a four seasons placemat set and ... well, you get the idea. I transferred artwork my grandkids made onto photo transfer fabric, and used their original fabric for their individual placemats; I sewed a loop on the left side of each for their napkin, since they're learning how to set the table and refine their table manners (they are pre-school age). I have also made several individual four-sided placemats to give as door prizes for seniors group's holiday dinner to use as centerpiece-type placemats, since so many seniors live by themselves. A single four-sided placemat would work also for a married young adult or college student, too.

This weblink has some great photos of what I am talking about: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-59266-1.htm
    Here's a good weblink for an idea of the instructions: http://dunnvillequiltguild.com/uploads/2010_January.pdf for an idea of the instructions. (see page 4 of the link's newsletter)

Here's the link to the Nancy's Notions website, which is selling the hard vinyl template for $10. http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...cemat+tool.do. I used a paper template for the class I took, but making more than one, well, let's just say it's best to pay for the "hard" template to make sure they all have the same shape.

Figure one yard for one four-sided placemat (fat quarters are perfect), so a set of four 4-sided placemats would take four yards total; I used the thinnest fusible batting for just one of the placemats to make it "not-fat," but that's a personal choice.

If you try this and run into problems, just let me know!

Here is a pattern for bag tags. I made lots of them last year.
    http://www.skiptomylou.org/2009/11/0...-luggage-tags/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glassnquilts
    I am new to this forum so maybe this has been discussed before. I am making potholders, potato bags, purses, and mug organizers for Christmas. Anyone have any other ideas!
    Prayer shawls?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast