Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Christmas in July Service Project for our Guild meeting >
  • Christmas in July Service Project for our Guild meeting

• Christmas in July Service Project for our Guild meeting

Old 07-25-2020, 02:38 AM

Default Christmas in July Service Project for our Guild meeting

We are meeting in the gym with tables far apart and wearing masks.

Our service project is making fabric Christmas ornaments for our local Womens' shelter. Member can bring their own supplies if desired..cookie cutter to trace, Holiday Charm squares and scrap batting provided. Hand sewing with embroidery floss or sewing buttons to hold the layers together is the plan. Large hand sanitizer pump will be available if sharing cookie cutters to trace. Looking forward to meeting in person again!
    Old 07-25-2020, 03:46 AM

That sound like a lot of fun. I'm sure the ladies in the shelter will appreciate the ornaments.
    Old 07-25-2020, 03:51 AM

so I finally found a local guild and attended my first meeting....in March. Sigh. I don't know if they will.contact me before they start meeting again and its not like they have a web presence.

I only started sewing in 2018. Its been good progress, but I'd really like to find a community to be part of.
    Old 07-25-2020, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rff1010
    so I finally found a local guild and attended my first meeting....in March. Sigh. I don't know if they will.contact me before they start meeting again and its not like they have a web presence.

I only started sewing in 2018. Its been good progress, but I'd really like to find a community to be part of.
    With COVID many guilds are closed. Mine is closed indefinitely. If you'd like we could form our own virtual guild. If interested send me a PM with some ideas on what you'd like to do for projects or learn. It would also be helpful to know your skill level. I've been quilting for years and have done, or tried, pretty much everything quilt related. I can't post pics so that might be an issue.
    Old 07-25-2020, 06:39 AM
    Power Poster

My guild is meeting, our first one was in July. We wore masked and yes we did mingle even though we tried not to cluster. LOL It's been over two weeks and everyone is fine. Our next meeting will be all show and tell. Everyone still has projects to show.
    Old 07-25-2020, 07:03 AM

Rff, I was a happy solitary quilter for years and then I started meeting and mingling among my fellow quilters and I really grew to appreciate the social contact -- even from 6 feet away.

This week I'm feeling rather discouraged about we are facing greater restrictions in August than the lessening we hoped for. Can't control that or what the Fall and wetter weather may bring but for now my small group is meeting once a week in a lovely yard. Some weeks we've had to be bundled up/rain protected, other weeks it's a good thing we break at noon because it is getting hot. We are getting better about finding projects to bring with ourselves, but it's mostly show and tell and visiting. We need the interaction, we need the motivation.

And thank goodness for the internet and places like Quiltingboard. I always enjoy the virtual quilting weekends, I think you joined in the conversation for the current one.
    Virtual Quilting Weekend--July 24-26, 2020

Have you tried any of the sew alongs/mystery quilt projects? I rather like the non-exchange ones where I can go at my own pace (which is usually faster than a lot of my companions), and in my own time zone which is often around 5:00 AM my time. I'm thinking of doing the Bonnie Hunter mystery again this year, even though my friend Janice points out that "you don't like quilts with lots of tiny triangles", and that is true -- but I think Bonnie gives some really good instructions and while I usually press my seams open I might try her style her way this year. But with easier/safer fabric choices than I used last year.
    Old 07-25-2020, 09:41 AM

That sounds like a fun meeting and the women in the shelter will love them. All of you ladies will get your social time in too. I really miss meeting with my quilting/sewing buddies.