Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas tree skirt for an airman >

Christmas tree skirt for an airman

Christmas tree skirt for an airman

Old 11-10-2014, 07:40 PM

Default Christmas tree skirt for an airman

I apologize in advanced if this is in the wrong spot! I have a 20 year old son in the Air Force who now has his own apartment off base. He's getting a tree this Christmas and would like me to make him a tree skirt for it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a "manly" tree skirt?? He likes to hunt and loves camo so I gave him the option of have a christmasy looking skirt or one made with camo. He said either but then I found a Christmas (red, green, and white) camo fabric at walmart. So I guess now I just need a pattern that would look ok for a young man who lives on his own!! I would appreciate any and all ideas, thank you!!
Old 11-11-2014, 03:02 AM

Missouri Star has a pattern that is made from charm squares. She made a square "quilt" cut the corners off (like a stop sign), cut circle in the middle and slit up one side. It's very easy to do. You could also just do one with a single fabric, cut in a circle.

You could use non-flowery fabrics, solids, marbles, swirls, plaid.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:51 AM

Why not just use a camo? Or military print? No rules here. The Christmas color camo sounds fun too! Do post a photo when done.
sandy
Old 11-11-2014, 06:35 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

On this Veteran's Day, please thank your son for his service and thank you for raising a son who wanted to serve.
Terry
Old 11-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
On this Veteran's Day, please thank your son for his service and thank you for raising a son who wanted to serve.
Terry
Thank you so much!! I will call him right now to tell him. I just LOVE having a "reason" to have to call him, hehehe!!
Can't you tell he's my only child!!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

The easiest thing I can think of is use the instructions for any skirt, and just make it in blue. They do not always have to be red or green.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:03 PM

Can't give advice on the tree skirt, but from one military mom to another, please thank your son for his service on this Veteran's Day!! My son (USMC) served during Operation Iraqi Freedom and I thank God everyday that he came home in one piece when so many of his buddies did not. We must never forget their sacrifice and service. ❤️
Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Please add my family and my thanks for his service. The skirt can be made out of anything. I am sure that he just wants a memory of home.Be sure to find out how big he wants it. You don't want the skirt to over shadow the tree. When I made one for my son I found out how big the tree was and then went from there. I wanted it to go as far as the branches reach, all the way around. I just cut a big circle and slit half up the circle. I used cotton for the top and heavy washable felt for the bottom. I used velco on each side of the split so he could adjust it. BrendaK