Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Church group quilt >

Church group quilt

Church group quilt

Old 04-23-2023, 11:08 AM

Default Church group quilt

It was suggested at our last Christmas Fair planning meeting that it would be nice for several members to make a quilt together, or separate blocks that could be the joined to make a quilt. They looked to me for suggestions but I’m coming up blank. Has any one done this kind of thing? How do you get organized? Any pattern ideas?

Old 04-23-2023, 02:10 PM

In a quilt guild, we all used whatever 10" squares we had and sewed them into 9-Patches. Then we cut them and sewed them into Disappearing 9-Patches. We were able to make a few quilts to give to charity.

Are you making them for the purpose of giving to a charity, or as learning how to make quilts, or as a sewing group?
Old 04-23-2023, 02:34 PM

Or would this possibly be a raffle quilt? There are many free BOM patterns around that could be made by several members (as long as the colour palate was consistent--as well as their level of skill of course) I think the real question here, is what will the final product be used for.
Old 04-23-2023, 03:39 PM

Yes, our church quilting group did this. We did the "Breezy Windmills" pattern from MSQC. We are a small group, so one person cut strips and did pressing of seams while the rest of us sewed. The cutter/presser sliced the strip sets, we sewed them into units, then the cutter/presser arranged the blocks on the design wall. We sewed them together, and then one person took the top home, layered it, and did the machine quilting and binding. The ladies were really proud of their accomplishment, and those who were less familiar with quilting learned some new techniques. The quilt will go to a local charity. Win/win.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:00 PM

Depending on the planned use for the quilt, this should be pretty easy to do.
Years ago, one of my co-workers and I organized many group quilts in my office as baby gifts. We created a pattern and gave each participant a kit, then worked on them together at lunch hours. They all involved hand appliqué because most of the participants did not have sewing machines. We finally made a group Christmas quilt — so no one would feel the need to have another child just to get a quilt — that we raffled off at our annual Christmas party. I was a the lucky winner — although I later found out the fix was in as a thank you for all the work I had done over the years.
Attached Thumbnails img_0911.jpeg  
Old 04-24-2023, 03:16 AM

Our AAUW quilt group makes a quilt each year to raffle with proceeds going to our scholarship fund. The group meets once to agree on a pattern usually presented by an avid quilter. A group finds the best place to purchase fabric with a good discount. Next all of the quilters meet to press and cut fabric. Each quilter takes fabric to make units or blocks. The last one was a flying geese quilt where we each made the flying geese rectangular units. The seasoned quilters sew the units or blocks together. Then, since the quilt is usually large and we hope to make a good amount on the raffle we take the quilt to a longarmer. One pattern was 1" finished squares with black border around each unit of 8 x 8 1" squares. We used up a lot of fabric that the group had accumulated over the years. One year we picked a Christmas pattern.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:29 AM

Whatever pattern you use, remember that not all 1/4" seams are equal and all blocks submitted may not be equal either. Choose something that when squaring up, you won't be cutting off points or messing up the design. Let's face it, not all of the points done by the same person end up in "perfection" so why expect the stitching of a group be perfect either. Make it easy, whatever you choose. A lot of the attraction, especially to the non-quilter, to a quilt will be in the fabrics/colors chosen than in the stitchery.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Whatever pattern you use, remember that not all 1/4" seams are equal and all blocks submitted may not be equal either. Choose something that when squaring up, you won't be cutting off points or messing up the design. Let's face it, not all of the points done by the same person end up in "perfection" so why expect the stitching of a group be perfect either. Make it easy, whatever you choose. A lot of the attraction, especially to the non-quilter, to a quilt will be in the fabrics/colors chosen than in the stitchery.
Essential!!! Everyone’s skill level is different. And my skill level is different at different days and times. It also depends on how committed the members of the group. Expectations can be disappointed.

The most successful group quilt I’ve done was constructed as assembly line. The participants helped each other and kept each other accountable. Tasks assigned considered members abilities. Example; one person was totally lacking but could cut 4” squares to be used in paper piecing. They didn’t really need to be 4” or even square. But she got to participate.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Find an easy pattern that can be squared up easily. Every block will be a different size with group quilts.
Old 04-25-2023, 07:13 AM

Thanks for all your input. Do you think a string block work? If the blocks were made a bit oversized, they would be easy to trim down to the desired size. No seams to match!