Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Class Would You Choose to Enter This Quilt? >

Which Class Would You Choose to Enter This Quilt?

Which Class Would You Choose to Enter This Quilt?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:22 AM
Power Poster

I too would go with the applique category.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:40 AM

There are no size limitations in any category. All quilts are accepted.

If a quilt is categorized incorrectly, it will not be judged.

If they receive too many quilts in any category, only the prize-winning quilts will be displayed.

This fair is held two hours away from my home. It would cost me $1 entry, gas, and two days of vacation to drop it off and pick it up myself. I'd have to make a third trip to see the fair with my friends.

They allow quilts to be mailed but the cost increases to the shipping of the quilt to the fair, a $30 entry fee, and the quilt may not even be displayed!

For these reasons I really want to pick the correct category. They offer no suggestions on which category to choose. Their suggestion was to ask a quilt shop for their opinion on the category. I thought y'all would give more feedback.

Opinions seem evenly divided between the applique category and the wall quilt category. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is having trouble deciding.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:20 AM

Funny I should find this now. I just asked a question about classes earlier. Good luck with your quilt (I have no opinion) and hope it wins a ribbon for you. Such a cute quilt.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 AM

It is a very cute quilt. Hope it wins for you no matter what.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

I'm fair superintendent of our quilting division a the state regional fair. When someone doesn't know what category to enter their quilt and it could go in different ones, I tell them to pick a category that has the least entrants!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I'm fair superintendent of our quilting division a the state regional fair. When someone doesn't know what category to enter their quilt and it could go in different ones, I tell them to pick a category that has the least entrants!
I don't know that either. I've never entered or attended the state fair before. What is your experience with the number of entries in a category?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

The number of entries in each category varies too much year to year. Usually the person will ask what category should their quilt be in and if there are several to choose from, I or the other workers will always tell them which one has the least entered. It's not a big secret and shouldn't be. When someone enters a quilt in one category and it can be in another I always tell them if the other category has less entries if they want to change. Entering a quilt in a fair should be fun and everyone should have the same 'in the know' as anyone else.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:14 AM

This is such a cute quilt. Good luck! I was so excited when I saw your post. I will be in that area but bummed when I realized we fly home 10 days before the fair starts. Fairs! Quilts! What could be better!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I think 6008 would be my choice. It is a very cute wall hanging!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:37 AM

Is there a way to contact someone in charge at the fair and tell them your dilemma and ask their advice. I think it's a beautiful appliqued wall hanging so either category would be appropriate. Good luck!