Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up our sewing areas! Let's Start!

My dear dad and his wife were paying attention when I told them at Thanksgiving that I was moving and reorganizing my sewing stuff. They gave me one of those plastic five drawer units that roll. I went through all of my old quilting magazines. Some were saved,some had patterns ripped out of them and they went into the bottom deep drawer of the organizer. Sometime soon, I'll sort them into a binder. BUT my rule is that if the drawer gets full, I can't save any more.
    A small step but a step indeed.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Oh, and I like the tip about hanging strips from a tension rod.
    :)lots2do

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I didn't get to the sewing room today. Other things going on, the DD and SIL came for dinner. I have to work tomorrow so resting and looking here and in quilting books. I'll post my room pick later this week, and help with tips.
    You all are a great inspiration.

Blog Entries
    Great tips everyone!
    when i do string quilts, i use a wooden stand dryer thing,back in the day, you would hang otems to dry on them..i keep it by my machine, when i am sewing the strips.otherwise it fold flat..it only stands a few feet high.. i will take a picture another time..

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    Great tips everyone!
    when i do string quilts, i use a wooden stand dryer thing,back in the day, you would hang otems to dry on them..i keep it by my machine, when i am sewing the strips.otherwise it fold flat..it only stands a few feet high.. i will take a picture another time..
    Aren't they great? I still have one of those from the days of yester-year. When I looked in the stores a few years ago for another one, I only saw metal vinyl-coated ones with 1/4"-diameter rods. The old wooden ones are about 3/4" in diameter (I'm guessing) and perfect for hanging just washed and ironed fabric so that it can completely dry before cutting or storing.

I can't wait to get started folding my fabric so I can ORGANIZE. It needs badly to be done.

Tip for magazine storage:

I have a cupboard shelf in the loungeroom that hold approx 100 mags/books (in date order). When the shelf is full I take out the oldest 25 and sort them. I tear out (or photocopy) patterns I want to keep - these go into plastic pockets in binders (in my sewing room) and pass the remainder on to a quilty friend who goes through them, then passes them on etc. etc.

I then have room to collect more current books.

My mag/book stash stays up-to-date without increasing the space used and my unwanted mags do the rounds to a multitude of other quilty people.

I spent about 3 hours in my room today.
    ** Cleaned off desk and floor by desk
    ** Setup two of my filing cabinet drawers
    ** Started clearing off my cutting table, about 1/2 way done

Gonna try to clear off sewing table & ironing board tomorrow

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! You are all very ambitious :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Good Morning Everyone!

Good for you PAM G! Awesome, i spent hours in my room too, it doesn't look like i did..but the room is about 25 pounds lighter!
    I plan on going back in there again today. My son is cheering me on from Afghanistan! (i just got an email from him)

Re:Magazine storage.DeeCee, Great idea, i think i am addicted to magazines. I let all my subscriptions run out ,but one. I try to use a coupon for any i "gotta have".

I have one of the wooden drying racks, I store quilt tops that are waiting to be loaded on the frame. I covered the wood poles with a piece of batting and muslin.

YAY!!! One little victory! The scrap bin is empty, strips all sorted by size, squares all sorted by size, now to find something to store them all in! Off to my favorite Quilting Coop in Asheboro, NC to 'loiter'! LOL Spend my Sat. mornings there and Tuesday nights. Have a great day organizing/quilting! Ciao!

my downstairs studio/classroom
    Needs to be cleaned up for classes resuming Monday.
    I teach quilting on Mon nights, and painting on Thur nights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And do remember to look your best, keep your lipstick handy. lol

I have most of my fabric in the plastic drawer carts, but I keep finding more in other places. I want to use the folding tip using the ruler for folding. I don't know if I can find them but at a place I worked we used plastic dividers with tabs that were about the size of the folded fabric. I think it was from a medical chart supply company. Better get moving if I want to get anything accomplished.

OH I love Freecycle. It is where i have received most of the fabrics that i have for all my projects!

Craigslist.com is a great place also!

Happy Quilting!

Sherri :)

To Watterstide
    I agree that comforter, pillowcase and sheet plastic envelopes are wonderful for storage.
    Since I have little shelving in my utility room where I sew, I found these plastics to be wonderful. They are strong, squared and zippered.
    I am in on the 2010 'cleanup." I folded all my smallish sized pieces of fabric, stacked them in the comforter size bags for storage. Neat, tidy and easy to spot the desired fabric.
    The smaller, pillowcase size, I have hanging by my sewing table and when I have a crumb, snippet or smallish piece, I put it in the pillowcase bag to use for a crumb quilt later.

I worked on my sewing area which is small and thus seems to be cluttered. I put a small basket inside a large basket and put my utensils that I am working with in the small basket and the thread spools, scissors and rotary cutter in the larger basket, along with the copy of my pattern. Now I have only one item to move around. Works for me!

When you say "price of shipping is going up Monday" you are not talking about USPS are you. I was not aware of a price increase.

I use those square plastic containers that salad greens come in for lots of things. They hold fat quarters and patterns (stand patterns on end like a book). I use them for lots of things. I just hate throwing them into the landfill.

I have old suitcases, the hard sided ones I use for storage of craft items I don't use freguently. The largest one has ribbon and lace and I put a hang tag on the handle listing what is inside. They stack onto of each other.

Phew!
    I'm exhausted reading about all this activity.
    I definitely think I have a headache coming on .......

Just returned home from a visit to my folks, and on the way stopped at favorite fabric shop. Now I have 12 yds more to hurry and cut up (some for my newest quilt) and then find a place for more leftovers. Also stopped by Lowe's and bought a pegboard to hang in our church's sewing room. I'll get those Holy Tearers (our UMC quilt group) organized too.

Well how do you like that? The one area of ml life that is organized and I keep organized cleaning up after a project, and I can't join in your fun.

My 'sewing room' is in our large Great Room, 20 x 40', and since my DD's cat's are all over everything, I have to keep things picked up and cleaned up.

I will post some pics, though and maybe my ideas will help someone else.

Happy organizing everyone!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just spent 2+ hours in my sewing room. Went through all my small scraps and got them organized in a drawer in a plastic rolling cart. Other fabric is about 90% refolded using the ruler method (love it), and labeled with the labels I created. Then I have it stored by color, or by project. Another drawer has my UFO's left over from Christmas along with extra Christmas fabric.
    I'm a newbie to quilting so my stash is small compared to others.
    Time to call it a day, after working 8 hours and them 2+ in the sewing room.
    Won't be back to sewing til Mon - Have church and then work tomorrow.
    Have a great weekend.

Another hour and a half. Sewing Table mostly cleaned off. Why is it when we clear off on area another gets messed up? Now I have to work on my desk area and cutting table again. Still have ironing board to clean off too.

TOO MANY scraps of yet to be finished projects that seem to be re-appearing. Need to figure out how to complete one thing before starting another, but what fun is that??

How do others organize WIPs or UFOs so they can get done? I have five quilt tops that I can think of right off the top of my head ... yikes ... two of them I know I want to Tie.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    this is a great thread and has made me realise that i need to sort out my fabric by color as it is hard to see what I have without spending ages looking for what I need..luckily my space is already pretty tidy as I have to share my space with my husband as it is also our home office. Reading what everyone else was doing inspired me to organise more of my items just to make things easier when I am trying to find things. Looking forward to getting more tips on how to keep everything even more organised so keep posting people!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast