Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cleaning Very Stained Vintage Embroidery >

Cleaning Very Stained Vintage Embroidery

Cleaning Very Stained Vintage Embroidery

Old 02-23-2015, 01:39 PM

Default Cleaning Very Stained Vintage Embroidery

(I hope this fits in this section....)

I recently purchased an adorable but rather stained embroidered table runner. I doubt the stains will come out but I thought I'd give it a good try before re-purposing the embroidery (which seems to be in pretty decent shape).

I don't know what the stains are; it is mainly browning. I have done nothing to clean it yet, and the person I bought it from had gotten it from an estate sale and had not done any cleaning either. So a relatively fresh slate here, in terms of recent attempts at cleaning.

Here are pictures:

(I'm sorry the pictures aren't better...the browning doesn't show a lot but look at the edges, that's where most of it is)

I'm trying to decide what to buy and try to clean this with. I've heard good things about RetroClean (and is the Retro Wash worth it? I have a lot of vintage fabrics I'd like to freshen up); I see there's also Orvus Quilt Soap; and Restoration Hypoallergenic Powder which looks promising too but is more expensive. And I know there are also a plethora of "homemade" methods.

The stains I have do look kind of like those shown in the Retro Clean examples so perhaps that would be my best bet for now?
Old 02-23-2015, 02:58 PM

I would try the RetroClean; I've seen some very good result from using it.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

I would try the Retro Clean too. I would probably use it with *lots* of water in case any of the embroidery threads bleed (water dilutes bleeds); however, the older embroidery threads tend to be more stable than newer threads because in the day they were still allowed to use toxic chemicals in the dye processing.

Orvus is more for just regular, gentle washing; it isn't necessarily designed to remove stains.

I personally wouldn't use one of the home methods on vintage fabrics.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:46 PM

I would use a toothbrush and apply dawn dish detergent and then soak in a basin of cold water overnight, then wash on delicates. It works wonder on all stains on my table clothes. I never have to use bleach. I do have retro clean and used it to brighten up crocheted edgings but not on bad stains like it appears yours are. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:54 PM

Yes, use the RetroClean, as suggested above. I used it on some quilts from my great grandmother. Worked terrifically well. Also, I had a hand embroidered linen cutwork tablecloth my granmother made in the late 60's. Someone spilled coffee on it and the stains didn't come out...washed, dried, put away until 2013. Followed the directions on RetroClean and it took every bit of the stain out. I have no interest in the company other than hoping it continues!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Where do you BUY Retro Clean?? I Google and is it just the manufacturer?? It is a bit on the heavy side for shipping.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 AM

Just a word of warning....if the fabrics were stored in wooden containers, the stains may be oils from the wood and will be very difficult to remove....I tried to remove stains from a older quilt top stored in a cedar chest and the risk to the fabric was too great to continue....I am in process now of finishing the quilt (my mother completed the top) and will love it (stains and all) when finished....some things just aren't worth messing with!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 AM

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will give the retro clean a try and will proceed slowly. I will repurpose the embroidery squares into quilt blocks if the stains won't budge and/or the fabric will be too damaged.

@ManiacQuilter2: It's depends what country you're located in, but I'm looking on Amazon. It looked like I could also get it shipped to store at a Walmart but I haven't looked too closely at that option.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:19 AM

I've never heard of that cleaner but I'm definitely going to take a look.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skylark53 View Post
@ManiacQuilter2: It's depends what country you're located in, but I'm looking on Amazon. It looked like I could also get it shipped to store at a Walmart but I haven't looked too closely at that option.
THANKS, I should have looked at Walmart but nothing was coming up on Google which it usually does if Walmart has it. I am in the US in Southern California where the Oscar awards were handed out last Sunday.