Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clear rulers or squares with a rough finish

Clear rulers or squares with a rough finish

Clear rulers or squares with a rough finish

Old 09-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 358

Does any of you know if it is possible to buy clear rulers or squares that have a rough finish?. I find that when I am trying to square up a block the rulers sometimes move as I am using the rotary cutter.

Thank you, Rogers
NewsletterBot is offline  
Old 09-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 449

I have small self stick pieces of sandpaper on the backs of my rulers to hold them in place while cutting. You can get it at a hardware store or Wal-Mart. Also, I saw something at JoAnn's that is a self stick sheet or roll of clear plastic, that another lady said covers the entire back of the ruler and keeps it from moving. I think the roll was about $20. I didn't get any so I don't know if it works, but it's another possibility. Hope this helps. :-)
julie is offline  
Old 09-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
Carla P's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MS
Posts: 518

At your local hardware store you can have them cut clear acrylic or plexiglass to the size you want. After you do this, go a couple of aisles over and pick up a sheet of sticky back felt dots and apply them generously to one side of your new, freshly cut "ruler" (not so generously that you can't see what you are working on though). You can also use sand paper dots, punched with a regular hole puncher and a little glue. Either of these dots can be applied to rulers or templates you already own, as well. Good luck!
Carla P is offline  
Old 09-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Super Member
zyxquilts's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 3,770

Omingrid also makes rulers called "Omnigrip" rulers. They are sort of "rough" on the back & stick to the fabric much better. They're also a sort of optic green color, instead of their regular yellow. I really like them. I have also used that clear plastic that static clings to the back of the rulers & it does help with the slip factor too. :D
zyxquilts is offline  
Old 09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
ShellyQ's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 933

I have Quilters Rule rulers they are made so that all the 1/4 markings are in ridges on the back this grips the fabric fabulously and I have no trouble with rulers slipping.
ShellyQ is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Super Member
vicki reno's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,423

My rulers have clear slicone dots on the back that keep the ruler from sliping.
vicki reno is offline  
Old 09-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Super Member
live2teach's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ole' West Virginia
Posts: 1,639

There was a topic on here about it, I can't find it now. One quilter put a dab of rubber cement on the back and smeared it so it would stay flat. Just a wallet friendly idea...
live2teach is offline  
Old 09-25-2007, 02:05 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,794

i have a ruler that has a lip on one end. you butt it against the edge of your mat. this seems to help for me. but even so you still may want to use something. i have another ruler that i have the little dots on. jeanette
quilterj is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
09-05-2018 04:52 PM
01-10-2012 02:17 PM
11-04-2011 04:27 PM
01-12-2010 07:25 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.