Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clipping Threads Before Sandwiching >

Clipping Threads Before Sandwiching

Clipping Threads Before Sandwiching

Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 PM

If you're sending the quilt out, check with your quilter - some have very strong preferences for everything being clipped, others don't mind at all.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 PM

The longarm quilter may not "mind" if you do not clip the threads. If you don't care and don't want to pay her to do it, it's your quilt and your decision. I have had some clients bring in quilts with thinner light colored fabric and those threads did show through. I appreciate every client who has a top with all the threads clipped because then my work will also look it's best.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 AM

My thanks to all who responded. My mom also taught me to clip all the threads. She would say, 'neaten it up'. I just hate the job because I have threads all over myself and the floor. I liked the comment about doing it as you go. That's what I will do in the future. Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM

I also clip threads. I try to keep it tidy as I go, but right before I sandwich I give it one last press and clip any remaining threads. I just go along with a pair of blunt edge scissors (so I don't cut my quilt, I'm really paranoid about that) while its on my ironing table and dab with one of those sticky rollers as I go...no mess on the floor!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I always iron my top right before I take it to the quilter. That's when I double check my loose thread. I usually find stray threads stuck between my blocks that I can pull to the front and clip or they just pull right out. I don't usually check the back because I clip as I quilt. I never even thought about checking the back and my quilter has never said anything to me. Oops! Maybe I'm suppose to.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

if you do not trim up-keep clean as you go it is very important if you are sending it out- a long-armer may charge you more for the extra work of having to 'clean up' for you---i charge an extra $15 for this!
when left they can show through be quite unsightly- they can catch and cause tears, or seams to pull apart- don't go to all of the work to create a beautiful quilt top to leave it unsightly/messy ...to save having to do it all after it is done make it a habit to clip/clean up as you go= if you check & clip your threads on each block as you complete it then as you construct there is very little left when the quilt is finished.
i've had people bring me quilts they did not bother clipping- and telling me---'oh-don't worry about it-it will be fine' then when ugly threads show through in areas that are quilted= no way to get to them- they are upset (with themselves-not with me- who tried to warn them)
the back of your quilt should be as neat as the front! take pride in your work.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 AM

I trim as I go and then check again before I sandwich just to make sure there are no frayed dark threads overlapping light fabrics.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

One can put a small container near the work area to drop the threads in. Or do the lint roller thing to pick up the thread.

I've found that a wire pet hair brush works well to pick up threads off the carpet - I try to avoid getting long threads in the vacuum cleaner.

I do one last pressing from the back before the top gets sandwiched. Then if I find any iffy seams I can fix them right away. That's also when I try to get all those loose or longish threads trimmed or picked off.

My Mom also was a "it should look good on the back, too" person
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 AM

Are we talking about clipping the sewing threads, or the fraying threads from the fabric? I clip sewing threads as I go but fraying threads.... that could take FOREVER!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:53 AM

I clip the fraying threads as well with my final pressing of the back of the quilt. It usually takes 30 minutes or so, and well worth the extra effort. Not the most fun part, but I believe it's important.

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
Are we talking about clipping the sewing threads, or the fraying threads from the fabric? I clip sewing threads as I go but fraying threads.... that could take FOREVER!!!!