Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Closet Quilter, Group or Guild??? >

Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Closet Quilter, Group or Guild???

Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM

I am a closet quilter here. I do belong to Pfaff club at my local Pfaff dealer. That is sewing anything and everything so quilts and clothing and such. I am an avid quilting board fan. There is lots of talent in this group!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Both. Generally, I quilt alone, but I belong to two groups! I participate on 'sew-in' days, but generally talk more than I sew. Then I cart my charity quilt home and do the work I was supposed to be doing when I was running my mouth!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by kathyquilts40 View Post
Hi MaryAnn,

We have a group of ladies that sew at our church, First Baptist in Naples. Right now it has stopped due to Christmas but will start again in January if you are interested. It is free and we have all levels of sewing/quilting. Young and old attend. Let me know if you are interested. My email is [email protected]
I should check with my daughter to see if she would be able to go..She has 6 kids and home schools, but she used to go to a weekly quilting group years ago..Her husband is an associate pastor at North Naples Baptist!!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Look for a different guild. One of my guilds is small and more of a social thing, not much going on besides chit-chat, the other is larger and openly welcomes new quilters. The larger guild has regularly scheduled 'teaching' meetings. There's always something to learn. For example, I recently made a baby quilt with a VERY baby fabric set. I know that once that baby reaches about 2, she (it's a girl quilt) will hate that fabric, so I made the back using a large floral that coordinated well with the front. Now the little sweetie will have a 'big girl' side to love when she gets a little older. One of my favorite ladies (who happens to be in her 80's) said, "Hmmm. I never thought of that!" It pleased me that she said that, because I really respect her as a person and she has wonderful quilting skills.

I have to admit, I felt a bit lost in the bigger group for awhile, but I persevered.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM

I'm a closet quilter, but I work in a quilt shop, so I have the best of both worlds - fellowship with other quilters at work, and solitude when sewing at home.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Closet quilter here. I tried joining a local guild once and even spoke to one of their members about joining, submitted my application and never heard from them again...oh well...
Old 12-12-2012, 03:00 PM
QM
Power Poster

I am a guild member. I learned to quilt through my wonderful guild. For the last year or so, however, I have been quilting entiely on my own, due to disabilities. My main quilty contacts these days are with my on-line friends.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Perhaps the guild had reached their capacity (fire marshal rules may apply) but should have contacted you to be on a "waiting list". Things can slip through the cracks sometimes so don't take it personally but contact them again. Maybe you were supposed to pay membership dues when you submitted the application...again those darn "cracks". Try again. If you are near Brevard County know that while we have several guilds, at least 2 have reached capacity. If that is the case near your home, why not try to start a new guild. Probably one of the filled groups would be willing to assist you and even send potential members your way. Good Luck and Happy Quilting.

Donna

Originally Posted by labtechkty View Post
Closet quilter here. I tried joining a local guild once and even spoke to one of their members about joining, submitted my application and never heard from them again...oh well...
Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

I belong to a guild, very nice folks, but, it meets at night and it is a distance so I am not inclined to go. I mostly quilt by myself. I have a friend that I get together with when our schedules work out and we either shop for quilting stuff or work on things together or help each other with something. I like that. I have taken some classes which I enjoyed too.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Closet quilter here.