Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clover clips >

Clover clips

Clover clips

Old 08-30-2020, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I got a cute tin of knockoff ones from Amazon and I like them for some things. They get caught on the stitch plate of my machine so have to take them out before they get too close. So far all of them have been good.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:11 AM

I only have the Clover clips. I machine bind my quilts and I use the measurements on the Clover brand to keep the stitching straight on the binding. LOVE them!

Edited to add: I have to use straight pins when working the corners. The Clover clips aren't helpful there. I, also, have to remove the Clover clips as I am sewing near them. They do hang up if I don't.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:55 AM
mac

Talking

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
Do any of you use them? Do you use the “off-brand” clips? Can you tell a difference? I bought ten with a coupon at Joann and used them to bind a bunch of quilts today. I think they helped, and I’d like to buy a few more. I see I can get the off-brand ones on Amazon for about 10% of the regular Joann price.
I haven't purchased the Clover brand because of the price. However, I have purchased the cheaper brands on Amazon. I now have about 200 of the medium size ones and 50 of the larger ones. I don't use the larger ones very often, but they are good to have for the few times that I needed them.
The medium ones I use all of the time. I haven't had any problems with them. None have broken -- so far. When I purchased the first 100 clips, I had read the comments and some people said that they were too hard to open, I haven't found that to be a problem at all.
When the clips first came out, I really couldn't visualize the need for them. Boy, have I changed my mind. I use them for a lot of things and I am glad that I purchased them.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I was gifted some clover clips, let my hubby know I would love more- he orders this adorable tin with 100 clips in it from amazon- I use them for many things. Love them
when my son mentioned hearing about them I sent him a handful to try out- when he said he liked them much better than pinning I ordered & sent him the tin of them just like mine. He has Big hands- hated using the pins I had sent him.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:11 AM

I have generic clips from Amazon, I have two of the cute tins of 100 clips each. I’ve used them and they seem fine. I’ve made almost 3,000 masks and they’ve held up so far.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:42 AM
mac

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I have generic clips from Amazon, I have two of the cute tins of 100 clips each. I’ve used them and they seem fine. I’ve made almost 3,000 masks and they’ve held up so far.
I haven't made as many masks as you have, but don't the clips work great for them? I couldn't imagine using straight pins on the pleats of the face masks. I am sure there would have been a lot of bent straight pins.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:39 AM

I use the ones I got on Amazon. I love them. I especially found them helpful when making hundreds of mask this spring and summer. I also have a package of 10 that I won as a raffle price from my guild. They are a bit larger and work as well. They are much evener in the spring action. Some of the Amazon one can have a very tight spring and are not the same in that respect. Both work well. For the saving it is well worth getting the Amazon clips.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:41 AM

Love 'em. Great for straight seams and binding. I still use pins for curves, though. Ordered some cheaper ones and mixed them together. Big mistake. Cheaper ones practically needed 2 hands to pinch open. Slowly weeding out as I use them. I guess my advice is to pinch before purchase
Old 08-30-2020, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I have both and like both. I think my knock-offs came from Amazon.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

When I use to hand sew binding on the back of quilts I used some type of generic clips. They worked great.

Now I sew bindings on by machine and don't use anything.